Chapter 14

Zayn's POV

"You lads ready?" I asked as I shrugged on my dark leather jacket.

Both Harry and Niall were sitting on the couch wearing pretty much the same clothing as I was. Dark jeans and dark shirt. However, Harry was wearing a dark sweater and Niall a tee shirt. 

Harry looked at me and cocked his head slightly as if he were looking right through me. He seemed strange today and I wondered what was going on with him. Were there to many thoughts surrounding Jessie or was he just trying to control his inner demons? I really wasn't sure.

Niall on the other hand seemed to be content in his own thoughts. However, he looked at me once I spoke and slowly stood up from the couch. "Yeah, I'm ready."

Harry stood up a couple seconds later and nodded his head in a way that was almost not like him. His eyes even seemed different. More clouded and hard edged. Was he alright? "Yep. Ready as well." He responded in a monotone. Even his words and tone were changing in a way that made them seem darker.

He's probably just stressed out, I told myself. Maybe this day out would do him some good. "Lets get going then." I said softly and stuck my head into the kitchen.

Jessie was currently searching through different bags with Louis. They were probably looking for some kind of food that she could eat. She looked a lot more relaxed than she did yesterday whenever we were walking toward the lake. Her posture was different as she moved around Louis. It was an almost delight to see. However, I didn't like the way she looked in Harry's close since they made her seem like a prisoner of some sort. We really needed to hurry before this girl lost touch with her humanity.

"Hey, guys. We're heading out." I said gently.

Jessie turned to look at me and she smiled gently. "I'll see you guys later." She responded in a voice that almost sounded relieved. Was she glad that it was Harry leaving or more than half our group? Something told me it wasn't the latter.

I nodded and looked at Louis. "You know how to reach me if you need me, Lou." I said in a serious tone.

He shrugged. "I'll be fine, Zayn. Just go and get back..and try not to bring attention to yourself."

I rolled my eyes. "We'll be fine. We're taking the other car." I said dangling the keys in front of me. Because we couldn't take our van everywhere we had a special car hidden nearby. We'd surely be caught if we drove around in the same van we used to rob different banks.

"Still...don't drive to fast or do anything that might cause you to get stopped by the police. It won't be good if you have to show any type of ID or car registration."

I let out a long breath. "We'll be fine. I just want to make this quick, anyway."

Jessie bit down on her bottom lip and glanced around the kitchen in a nervous way. "Just..try to be careful, okay? I don't want you guys to be caught because of me."

I smiled at her reassuringly. "We'll be fine." I repeated with a slight nod. "We should be back in under three hours. I'll phone if anything goes wrong." I said to Louis before walking back into the living room.

Niall and Harry seemed to have been in a deep discussion that ceased on my arrival, and I cocked my head slightly at Niall's serious expression. Normally, he wouldn't wear such an expression on his face unless things were getting tough.

"Something going on, lads?" I questioned and crossed my arms.

Niall pressed his lips together and looked to Harry. "I don't know. Is there, Harry?" He asked in a tone that said he knew something more than he was saying.