Chapter 4.

With the prince no longer in the room I seemed to take the first breath in what felt like ages. 

"Rachel!" I heard my name being called from behind me and I swiveled around, still in a daze.

I maneuvered my way slowly through the throngs of people until I saw her. "Greer!" I shouted back over the music and I broke into as close to a sprint as possible in my shoes until I reached her, wrapping her in a hug. "Can you believe all of this? I'm so happy you're alright."

I caught the glares from three other girls sitting at the table behind Greer, but I ignored them and checked over my friend instead. I stepped back from her and looked her up and down, making sure she hadn't been harmed in any way. "Wow, Greer." I said lowly. "You look amazing." She beamed with the praise and did a little twirl in her form fitted mermaid style dress. The light tan color played up her nice olive skin tone, and her makeup made her brown eyes look mesmerizing.

"Me?" She giggled with her hand on my shoulder. "Look at you! You look like a knockout!"

A sultry looking, platinum blonde girl at the table behind us rolled her eyes and laughed, whispering something to the petite brunette beside her. I was planning to ignore them, but I get a little testy when I'm hungry. "Is there something you want to say to me?" I demanded, taking a step towards the other girls. "Or would you like to stop staring and eavesdropping on our conversation?"

The blonde pouted her lips. "Someone's a little jumpy." She said in a condescending tone. "Bit conceited of you to assume we were talking about you, or that we care about what you and miss goody good have to talk about."

"I'm sorry, what did you just call my friend?" Something about that girl's attitude was making my blood boil. I can't stand girls who think they are god's gift to the world.

"Rachel!" Greer whispered at me urgently, then pulled at my arm, taking me away from the table. "What are you doing? Trying to get beat up on the first night here?"

I was looking past her, still glaring in the other direction and I shrugged which made Greer laugh. "Who are they anyway?"

Greer tilted her head back to the table. "The snippy blonde is Tessa." She whispered even though we were far enough away that they couldn't hear us. "The short brunette one beside her is Frankie, then the really tall girl on the end is Lexton, she seems sweet, but she doesn't speak much."

I nodded my head, saving their names away to my memory. "Where's the 6th girl?"

Greer pinched up her nose and her forehead wrinkled, that face that telling me I was not going to like the answer. "It's Regina." She groaned dramatically.

"You're kidding." I gasped, but I had a feeling in my gut that she wasn't. Apparently I only have bad luck, so my nemesis following me into this hellhole too wasn't that far of a stretch for me to make.

"I wish, but no." She frowned then pointed up to the royal table. "She's already working on schmoozing the king."

Sure enough, in all her glamorous beauty, she was just a chatting away with the king, making him smile and laugh over and over. Regina was from Drighten too. She arrived there a couple of months before Greer and me, but she had already made the place her own. Even at nine years old she was a demon. Regina had always been downright nasty to Greer and me, and I was sure she was just going to love Tessa. "I need something to eat." I rolled my eyes and stomped over to the buffet table. Greer followed behind me while I piled my plate high with everything there was to offer. "I literally can't believe this is all happening." I sighed. "Did they tell you about Drighten being a feeder school?"