Chapter 29.

My Beautiful,

I hope this letter makes its way to you in time, but, happy one week anniversary! One week ago you gave me the best day of my entire life, and it is thoughts of you that are getting me through all of this here. I wish I could be with you, but I know how important that it is that I handle this, and I hope you understand. I think of you constantly, Rachel. I hope things are going well for you. Master Ronald tells me that the transition was a little rough, but that you're making headway now. I do hope that's true. I know you, and I know you are worried about me, and about being a good queen, but you don't need to be. I'll be fine, and I will come back to you as soon as I can, and you're too perfect for the people not to love you. I won't lie to you, Rachel, its tough here. Most of the time I don't even know if I am making any progress. These fools want so much from me that I am not willing to give. They are finding out fast that they were wrong in their desires for me to be king. Any who refuse to cooperate with my rule are being killed on the spot, and I never thought I'd have such a hard time with it, but there has been so much death, and despite everything, it still weighs heavy on my heart. Being a king is much harder than I ever imagined it to be. I'll be meeting with the head of the revolt at the end of this week. He likely won't be happy since we've been steady cutting down his numbers, but I hope that we will be able to come to some kind of agreement. If not, it will mean more fighting, and more wasted time away from you.

I wish more than anything that I could be near you. I know you're in good hands, I just wish they were mine.

All my love, Cal

I folded up my letter and carefully placed it back in it's envelope, then hugged it to my chest.

Calvin sends a letter every day. They are usually a day behind, but it at least gives me some idea of what he is doing. My heart felt heavy knowing that he was having a hard time, but I prayed that the meeting at the end of the week will bring good news, and him back to me.

I understood entirely what he meant about being a king, and how much harder it was than you'd think. Being a queen was the exact same way. In all the stories you hear about royalty, it's all so glamourous and powerful, but in my reality, it was just scary and full of worry. I worry constantly about Calvin. Not only because I want him back safe, but because the thought of what happens to me if he doesn't return is also a road that leads to terror.

It's been one very long week since I married Calvin. The very first day after he left had been the absolute hardest. I cried most of the day, until Pedro finally convinced me that I had to at least be seen leaving the room at some point, to give the people a chance to really get used to the idea of me as their queen. He wouldn't let me hide. Everywhere I went I was heavily guarded, and while most of the people I met were very open and kind to me, some sent me looks of disapproval that would make my stomach turn.

Someone knocks on the door, making me jump like I always do now. I'm so jumpy when I'm alone, and I always have the dreaded thought that it could be someone here to tell me that something has happened to Calvin. "Come in." I call as I put my letter into the drawer in the nightstand with the others.

Master Pedro pokes his head in. "How are you today?" He asked like he has every time he's seen me since the wedding.

I roll my eyes at him and walk over to the new vanity, fiddling with my hair in the mirror. "I'm fine, Pedro."

He laughed, closing the door behind him. He walked over to me and there was an apprehensive look in his eyes. "So, I have something to talk to you about." He said. "As the queen, I mean."