Chapter 33.

We stayed in that library, holding onto each other for a long time, and by the time we broke apart, all clues that there was ever even the slightest of a disturbance in this room were swept away. "I don't want to go." I whispered weakly, looking up at Pedro's strained face.

He tapped my nose, then grabbed my hand, leading me out into the hall. "You know I don't want you to go, but I'd never forgive myself if something happened and I could have prevented it by getting you away sooner."

"I understand." I whispered, my eyes on my feet as we walked.

"How are you?" Pedro asked carefully as the elevator doors slid closed in front of us.

I sighed, instinctively bringing my hand to my once injured shoulder. "I'm ok." I nodded, dropping my hand back down. "I guess it was just easy to forget what you all are." I said bluntly, then turned to give Pedro an apologetic look, hoping my words hadn't offended him.

Pedro nodded his head. "I know what you mean." He smiled lightly. "So many myths paint us as blood hungry monsters, when really, that is only such a small part of us. For the most part, blending with humans is pretty easy, because aside from our diets and heightened abilities, we really aren't all that different. It's only when you come face to face with the ugly side of our nature that you are forced to see the thing that keeps our kinds separate."

I thought about what he was saying, and a part of me felt like he was trying to tell me something, but I wasn't sure what exactly. I ignored the feeling, trying not to hear whatever it was. "Pedro?" I said and he looked down at me. "How does it work?" I asked. "Being changed, I mean." Then I bit my lip as he walked me to my room and we sat at the foot of the bed.

He laid back on the bed, looking up at the ceiling. "When we want to change someone, we bite them, but we have to release our venom."

I looked at him frantically, my heart rate picking up. "Well, what if he used his venom on me, Pedro! What if I turn?" I shrieked grabbing my shoulder.

Pedro sat up quickly, steadying me with his hands on my shoulders. "Rachel, he didn't." He assured me. "When we bite and release our venom, it is a pretty immediate reaction." He explained. "The venom hits the blood and it quickly spreads throughout the bodies systems, temporarily putting the victim in a coma like state for anywhere to an hour to a whole day. When they wake up, the change is complete." He said then rolled his eyes at me. "Are you in a coma right now, Rachel?" He asked and I slapped his shoulder.

"No." I mumbled back.

"Then he didn't use his venom, and you are going to be ok." He smiled, then reached out to hold my hand. "Can I ask you something now?" He asked quietly and I got slightly nervous from his serious tone, but I nodded my head anyway. "Why are you so afraid that you might have turned?" He asked, not meeting my eyes. "Is it because you want Calvin to be the one to do it...or because you don't want it to happen to you at all?"

I dropped my eyes from his face too, ashamed that he had been able to pick up on how badly I don't want to be like him. "Well, I..."

"That's what I thought." He answered for me. "Rachel, why did you agree to marry Calvin, knowing that you don't want to be turned?"

I shot a defensive look at him. "Because I love him." I said.

Pedro sighed. "I know that, but what exactly do you think will happen?" He asked.

I stood up from the bed, angry with him for bringing this up. I'd done such a good job for so long now, not thinking of this exact thing. It was the only thing that was standing between me and the way I feel about Calvin, so I had chosen to ignore it, push the feelings and thoughts down and just enjoy my human time I have left. "I didn't think about it." I snapped at him. "I chose to be stupid, and pretend that that was never going to come up." I said stomping over to the bathroom and noisily started shoving some of my things in my bags that Maria had laid out for me. "Like you said though, apparently I don't have to worry about it anymore since you're convinced that my husband is dead, and I'm being kicked out of the castle." I said sarcastically.