Chapter 6.

The next few days were uneventful at best.

I'd slowly gotten myself into a routine, and my hours were finally synching up with the vamp schedule now. I wake up around 6pm every night and go meet Greer in her room for our breakfast, then we head up to the rec room and play chess or cards until time for lunch. The other girls all tend to scurry around the entire grounds, usually searing, to no avail, to find Calvin. When they aren't doing that, they're in the theater or playing dress up in their rooms. At lunch I have a cold cut sandwich in the library and read, trying anything to escape from this place, even if it's only in my mind. Then, around three or four in the morning Greer comes to my room for our supper and I go to bed again at 7am.

It's mindlessly exhausting.

Lexton is the only one who stays to herself entirely. Every time we've crossed paths, she's been very sweet, but never overly friendly. I understand why she wouldn't be. I get not wanting to form any relationships with girls you already know you won't know for long, and that ultimately are between your chance at life or death.

Tonight throws a wrench in my usual plans, because tonight begins the arranged dates. Even thinking about the idea of being marched around in front of people so that Prince Calvin can chose a girl to take on a date makes me want to vomit.

I dressed in a royal blue cowl neck dress and tan heels, and then fern styled my strawberry blonde hair into a cute ponytail with two braids wrapped around it. She offered to walk with me to the ballroom, but I assured her I know the way. I've gotten pretty good at memorizing the way to and from around here, although I still haven't come across an exit yet.

On the way to the ballroom I stopped by Greer's room and we walked together down to the elevator. "Do you have any idea what to expect?" She asked nervously as she fidgeted with her cute purple halter top dress.

I simply shook my head. "There is no telling." I muttered. There's no way to know what to expect in this weird world of the vampires.

"I'm torn between wanting to get picked, and not wanting to get picked." She smiled lightly and I reached out to hold her hand in understanding. It was the same dilemma that had been running through my mind the whole time I got ready. 

"Yeah, I know what you mean." I agreed with her. I didn't know if it was better to hope that Prince Calvin will pick me for the date, or if I should be hoping he passes me over for now. It's bad enough that in the long run I'll need him to choose me.

When we arrived at the ballroom it had been completely transformed from the last time we were here. From the bottom of the stairs, and leading straight across the room to a large stage, was a red carpet that was lined with thousands of people seated in the rows and rows of chairs that covered the room on either side of it. As the doors opened, everyone had turned to stare at us and clap, some of them holding cameras with blinding flashes, others with video cameras that called out our names telling us to smile. The most mortifying thing of all was the two large screens that were hanging at both sides of the stage that broadcasted our entrances.

I could see the red on both mine and Greer's cheeks as the cameras zoomed in on us and a banner beneath our faces listed our names and what school we came from. We walked much faster than necessary to get to the stage, just in a hurry to get out of the crowd and to a safer looking spot even if it was on top of a stage in front of a thousand vampires. On the stage were six plush chairs, and to the left was Master Pedro behind his podium again and dressed in another flawless blue suit.

Frankie, Tessa, and Regina were the next to arrive. They had a moment of surprise, but they got over it quickly, plastering mind blowing smiles to their faces and waving to their subjects like they'd already won. The people ate it up, screaming their names even louder like they were literally celebrities. Lexton came in moments behind them and her reaction matched more to mine and Greer's than the others.