Chapter Three

Chapter Three: If Only To Save One

This was it for Samari. Her life will end before it even truly began. Goodbye to the things she never saw and will never do. All for nothing, though she had tried. She would die before doing a lick of good.

At least she saved one man. That was enough for her, even if she couldn't save them all.

No. No! It won't end like this! I have to do better, I have to make more of a difference!

She forced herself to stay conscious, though bits of black crept into her vision. Her hand slide into her bag in slow, undetected movements. Gasping the first thing she felt, she just so happened to be just what she needed.

Oh, beautiful blue sparkling dust, so pretty as it iced over his hand. The cold burned her blisters as she smeared it over him, but she withstood it as she watched him wither in pain.

With screaming yelps, he let go, gripped the blackening area around his wrist. The girl fell to the ground in an awkward heap, but she took in greedy gulps of air without a second thought.

She had stopped him, but she would not win. Her head spun as the pain slowly tingled over her, growing as she came back to life.

The psycho had recovered by now, though he was not at all happy. The part of his arm she froze was now glowing with a strange symbol she didn't recognize. An actual mage, she realized in dismay. Yes, she was done for, but she could wear him down a bit.

"Good try, girlie, but you should not hurt what you can't kill," he said bitterly.

He raised a hand to slay her, finishing quick and easy. He must be too annoyed to make her pay, but it was better for her anyway.

Right as he was about to strike, he was gone. Rather, he was cast aside by the force of someone tackling him. Or perhaps they had been thrown onto him. Yes, the latter was more accurate.

Samari's eyes were fixed on the two dazed men for but a moment before turning to see who had tossed him. Far away, standing in the shadows like a ghost, a man stood firm. He stared right at her.

His gaze bore into her as he approached, one dreadful step at a time. The thick darkness swarmed around him, slipping out of him and following him. She could see no details on him, but he was terrifying enough without needing to see him.

He walked past her, stopping when she was behind him. "Get in my way, and any harm done to you is on your head," he said. His voice was cold and thick, freezing her where she sat.

Everyone could sense the power radiating off him. The fighting slowed to a stop as it encased the area, blocking out the sun. That knew as well as she did that he was one you didn't want to upset. She could only barely see the figures in the looming darkness, watching with eager eyes as she was too afraid to run away.

The man he had thrown like a rag doll backed away, trying not to be seen. The other stood to his feet, cracking the kinks out of him. He did not seem phased one bit by the shadow master, only fueled by the chance to play with a real opponent.

"It seems you finally found me, Shadow Knight. Don't think I haven't seen you tracking my every move, watching the effects without being able to do anything," he snarled.

His words were meant for the attacker alone, but Samari was close enough that she could hear it as a whisper.

The Shadow Knight, she now knew her savior as, spoke once again. "You have gone too far, Viper, and your actions cannot go unaccounted for."

Samari was a bit shocked that they knew each other. From their soft words, she thought that they had no intent in making a spectacle of their exchange. Their fight was personal.