Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve: Friends are Friends

Samari sat by the edge of the lake, thinking of what Tim had told her. How had he known that she couldn't swim?  He had played it off as intuition, but it still seemed as though it was obvious to others.

 As she watched her friends running around, laughing their heads off as they splashed each other, a sense of longing welled up in her chest. She wanted to get in and join them, but at the same time, she was scared that she might have a panic attack and ruin the mood.           

A piece of advice someone once gave her popped into her mind. It said that your mind has a tendency to convince you into not trying new things the more that you think about it. If you want to do something, get moving within five seconds or you will be too scared to do it.

Taking a deep breath, she counted the time in her head. One, two, three, four-

-and she was in!

 At first, all she felt was the cold seeping into her clothes and tickling her skin. When the goosebumps passed, it was rather relaxing, calming the anxious thoughts in her mind.

Sinking to her knees, she found that the further in you were, the better it felt. The water helped ease her tense muscles as she descended to the point that her nose was close to the water's surface. She began to waddle around in abstract patterns, being sure to avoid other people while not really going anywhere in particular.

This is relaxing my mind more than meditating! Can I do this every day? It is so nice. Why have I never done this before? she wondered.

Suddenly, something pulled on her ankles dragging her leg out from underneath her. Falling face first into the water, she was unable to take a breath before going under. She began swallowing water instead, immediately shutting her mouth when the liquid started pouring in.

It was already too late. There was nothing she could do to keep herself from panicking in the water. Her lungs forced her to cough up what little air she had left in an attempt to get the water out, but the empty pockets only ended up pulling even more water in instead, the water burning as it entered.

Arms and legs flailing wildly, she was unable to tell which direction she was facing. Her efforts to get to the surface were futile as her limbs churned through the heavy liquid with no feeling of air or ground to guide them.

She did not know how long it was, but something solid wrapped under her armpits and over her shoulders. Jolted by the feeling, she attempted to reach around and pull herself up by whatever was touching her, but the grip would not budge.

In a flash, she felt the word spin upside down. Her head broke through the surface, urging her to take in greedy gulps of air to help her cough out the lungful of water. The thing holding her, which she realized was not a thing but a who, loosened their grip as her feet found the ground to hold herself up.

Her rescuer came to her side, saying in a soothing voice, "That's good, just keep coughing until you get everything out. You are okay now; I won't let you go under again."

His voice was comforting as she began recovering from the trauma. His arms were firm underneath her hands, not letting her move him an inch. Although still ragged and shaky, the coughing minimized as she started breathing again.

"I'm going to take you to the edge to rest, okay?" he said.

She nodded in response. Slowly but surely, they walked together to the wall where she steadied her hands on the stones.  After some time, the adrenaline passed enough for her to think clearly again. He first thought was to see who had saved her.

"Thank you, uh, you f-for, uh, saving...my life," she stammered in a voice slower than usual. It hurt for her to speak, but her shock of who had rescued her was greater than the pain.

"Don't worry about it, okay? If you do, I'll have to find a spell to erase this from your memory so you don't overreact to it," Dillan replied.

Her gaze did not leave him for a moment. He was so cool and composed, his red eyes showing layers of colors now that they were in the light and his glasses were not in the way. They were sharp and focused, seeming to catch any detail that passed.

This version of him was...admirable. It was completely different from his usual klutzy, timid self. If only she could see it more often--without him having to save her part.

"Well thank you, either...way. Did you...happen to see who...pulled me un-der?"

With a shake of his head, his eyebrows creased together.

"It is strange, actually. I was watching you swimming in circles all fine, but just disappeared under the water without warning. No one was near you, above or under water," he explained.

A chill ran down her spine upon hearing this. Could she have slipped? No, she had definitely felt something grab onto her ankles and pull. Was that a spell? Maybe...

Wait, why was Dillan watching me?

"Um..." he started saying, directing her gaze back at him after looking off into the distance.

"It might be a bit early now, but when you feel your strength coming back, you should try swimming again."

Why is that important? He wants me swim again right after downing? What in shearn mima?

Seeing the confusion on her face, the cool, calculating Dillan seemed to fall down like a curtain. Looking away, he rubbed the back of his head as his checks took on their usual blush.

"I mean, I do not want you to go through that again, but, uh, I don't want you to be, uh, traumatized by this either. Maybe, maybe if you swim, even if only for a bit, then you won't be as, ah, timid, the next time we come swimming. It would make me feel better."

Well, when he put it like that, it made sense. She had heard of that before, the whole "get right back on the horse" thing.

Still, the water made her a bit nervous. It was as much of a friend as it was before, but now she knew how it could hurt her. The pain was still fresh in her mind. It was as though it had broken her trust.

"Uh, would you, uh...would you mind if I, uh...held your arm?" she inquired, staring at her toes wiggling in the dirt.

She heard him huff and glanced up to see him grinning. "Whatever makes you feel safe, I will do."

This is really important to him... she realized.

Seeing her staring him, he held out his arm for her once again. Smiling back, she grabbed onto it with both hands. He led her around the shallower areas, letting her set the pace of their walk.

It was nice, treading through the lively waters while making idle chatter with Dillan. After some time, she felt confident enough to go on her own. The heaviness in her chest receded with each steady step. Later, she even joined in the group's games, slowly building up to where she no longer flinched when she was splashed.

She didn't know, and Dillan wouldn't dare tell her, but she blushed every time she looked at him.

But even as she was enjoying her time with her friends, new and slightly less new, that moment of terror was still in the back of her mind sleeping with her other hidden emotions.

A/N: First order of business, which do you like better? Zamari or Sallian? (I may end up editing some scenes to give more ship scenes if you guys want it.)