Chapter Twenty-One

Chapter Twenty-One: Negotiations With Children

The training court smell had somehow intensified in the small room. There were no windows that could provide relief of the stench, only a curtain door over the entrance.

As they walked into the room, Samari noticed that not all of the group was there. The man Cy has just defeated was missing, as well as a few others. Only four of them were present--the rest were probably still at the pit.

After seeing the low numbers, she paid heed to each of them. Recognition overtook her as she did.

I know these people. I saw them at East Port. They're from the tavern, she thought, trying not to stare at them.

She remembered the name of the man sitting in the middle: Lance. Without his help, she would never have found the guild to begin with. He had been sketching the Locktess' at the bar, and he was still just as handsome.

He didn't show any signs of recognizing her, so she kept her familiarity with herself. The other two who had been at the bar were with him, along with one other she hadn't seen before.

"You start. After all, you came to us," the woman from the inn stated.

Instinctively, Samari cleared her throat. "We have come to...inquire...on a certain merchandise you may be selling," she took the lead.

Lorilie gave her a sideways glance, which only stiffened the awkward silence.

After some time, the man who seemed to be the boss snorted.

"Lady, we have tons of items for sale. I need to know more info on your 'certain merchandise.' Is it big or small or odd-shaped or bird-like or animal or what?" he asked.

Samari mentally facepalmed herself. Of course, he wouldn't automatically know what I'm talking about. This isn't some book or a planned meeting.

She pulled her lips tight as she tried. to remember how Zoran has described it. How she wished he was here! She was still a bit confused about the test to tell that it was the real thing, yet she had no other choice.

"Yes, it's rather specific. A gem that shines like the clouds, too large to be in a ring yet too small for a necklace." She tried not to give them too much info, in case they didn't know what the gem really was.

The Flames looked amongst each other, seeing if the description rung any bells. No one showed any signs of recognition.

"You do know that clouds themselves do not shine, right?"

"Well, it's actually--"

The woman cut Samari off as she continued, "I mean, what you're kinda asking for is a mattee jewel. They don't--"

"It sounds like you're looking for a shiny gem, though. We have plenty to offer," the ring leader interrupted.

With a flick of his wrist, he motioned for the man on his left to retrieve them. The man, whose face was covered in burn scars, kept glaring at them as he left--much like how the woman who was cut off was glaring at her boss.

Samari opened her mouth to continue, yet couldn't think of the right words to say as the scarred man left.

"He'll be back shortly. In the meantime, can I offer you any perspiration to drink? We always seem to have more than we can handle!"

The Mystic's stared blankly at him, not sure how to react. Then again, how is anyone supposed to react when someone offers them the refreshing flavors of sweat?

As if trying to make things more awkward, Cyrus half-raised his hand and said, "I just do happen to be a water mina, if you're really that low on clean water."