Chapter Thirty-Six

Chapter Thirty-Six: The Cat And The Bella

When the tournament advisors allowed deadly force to be used for the final, Lorilie expected to be blown away by the power of her opponents, but she had not been impressed. Not until Mirabella decided to step in her path.

The Volcanic was sharp, her strikes direct and strong. Lorlie's feline agility kept her fluid as she does the barrage. Her legs came around as she flipped backward, but her feet missed the mark.

She rested her hands on the ground. She lunged. Her claws tore Mirabella's cloak as she moved out of the way too slowly. Sweeping her leg, she knocked her to the ground.

Mirabella rolled away from the path of the pouncing feline. One kick pushed her over. With the distance between them, the two were on their feet in a heartbeat.

"You have skills, I'll give you that, " Mirabella admitted. "But I wonder how the Kitty Cat can handle a real fight."

Her eyes closed, and her body glowed a faint red. Even from the distance, Lorilie could feel the heat of her ticon passing over her face.

SCEEETH. Mirabella held out a silver sword covered in red runes. Sparks spread across the sword building slowly until it burst into bright orange flames.

How an I supposed to effectively fight that?

Newly equipped, she swung for the feline. Stepping out of the way, Lorilie reached for the hilt but missed. The fire forced her down as it came round again.

"Do you treat everyone like this?" she asked, sidestepping to avoid the flames.

"No, normally, I'd just take care of them."

Her stoic demeanor was displacing for Lorilie, making her reactions virtually unreadable. She swung the blade commandingly, not a muscle strained from the effort.

There were only so many attacks that she could use, and when she repeated some, Lorilie took her shot. She jabbed Mirabella's wrist and grabbed her hand. Kneeling her elbow, she twisted the hilt out of her hands.

The flame doused as it fell to the singed grass. Grabbing it with her tail, Lorilie threw it far away from their spot. A few steps got her away from Mirabella and her stuffing heat.

"Oh, you didn't like it? Should we back things up?" she pulled a bow from her shoulder. "Pheonix Feathers." She fired two burning arrows right to her feet, catching the grass on fire.

Lorilie coughed, stumbling back from her opponent. The heat radiating off the woman made it too hard to get close, whether or not she held her breath.

"Weren't you going to give me a fight?" Mirabella said as she armed another arrow on her bow.

The feline spat on the ground, expelling the metallic taste on her mouth. "My claws against your fire? Gimme a minute to rip out your throat, and we'll see who's talking."

Mirabella blinked, her face void of any expression. She fired again, but Lorilie noticed her eyes drift over her shoulder to something behind them. The feline's ears turned as she focused on listening to whatever her opponent had seen.

Her tail flicked when she heard Cyrus' voice. She looked over her shoulder, almost getting herself shot in the process. If you go for him, I swear that I will not let you walk off this battlefield on your two feet.

Mirabella released her shot, making Lorilie lunge to stop it. She dropped the firey arrow as soon as she grabbed it out of the air, shaking off the flames.

"That one wasn't even near you."

"I know," she responded, lunging for another. "I won't let you hit your target."