Chapter Thirty-One

Chapter Thirty-One: Tripping Heights

BLUNNNMP!

Zoran took off running down the lane. It wasn't long before Lorilie passed him, blazing by everyone with her feline speed. Cyrus fell into place beside him.

The Aquian wasn't even huffing from the effort. "Are we sure doing this is a good idea?" he asked.

"When in doubt, let Lorilie run free," he blurted. "Otherwise, she'll just be fighting you the entire time."

"Fair enough." Cyrus glanced at the others running with them.

Everyone was running, some farther behind than others, making it just seem like a race. Among them was not a single Flame that they knew of. Shouts of anger arose from the path next to them, although they could not hear what the announcer was reporting on.

"Seems like others are having fun already. Should we get this party started, too?"

Cyrus smiled at the notion, "I don't see why not. Shall I blast them?"

Zoran looked around, studying their opponents. Lots of ticon equipment, so probably not a lot of casters present. Fighting them directly would be a waste of energy.

"Do a mist instead. I have an idea, " he reported, casting a spell over them.

Shrugging, Cyrus folded his hands together. He slowly drew them apart, drawing out a ball of water as he did. It grew bigger than a melon before he stopped it.

He looked to his friend for confirmation. Zoran nodded, readying his own spell.

With a grunt, Cyrus threw the giant water droplet as high as he could. It seemed to shatter, exploding into a thick mist that covered the area. In the foggy light, he could clearly see the bright spell at Zoran's fingertips.

"Blinding Mist!" he yelled as he realized the specks of light.

The mist turned into mirrors reflecting the light in all direction. A brilliant iridescence shone, but Zoran and Cyrus were protected from the light by his spell.

"Now we take them, " he said.

With the spell as their protection, they were able to get close to others without their noticing. All it took was a little prompting to get the blind mages to fight each other, but Zoran still felt like he had to fight too many.

After a while of chaos, the spell faded. People already engaged in battles remained, but others found their bearings and took off down the path.

"Time to go!" Cyrus cried as he ran past Zoran.

He followed, running alongside his comrade. There were still others with them, yet far less than there had been before. Zoran glanced at them, watching for any move of attack.

It felt like a long time running before they reached their obstacle. The two stopped before it, panting from the exertion. Upon seeing them, Lorilie ran over.

"What took you two so long? I've been waiting, keeping others from crossing the obstacle in the meantime, " she complained.

"What do you mean "others"?" Cyrus said, still panting. "We started a fight to hold most of them back."

She snorted, walking backward. "Well, you obviously missed a bunch, because I've been busy."

They glanced at each other before following her.

There was a deep pit of thick mud under a giant net strung between the two walls. It had to be at least as long as the dining hall. There were a few people who were eyeing the net-those who had been running with the boys-yet their attention was diverted by noises coming from the mud pit.