Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen: Departing Reveals

Samari awoke feeling groggy and tired, all-around not in a mood to travel, but the thought of the festival reward at the end of the journey sprang her right out of bed.

Swiftly, she prepared herself for the day, taking into account that she would be walking all day. Taking a quick look in the mirror, she made sure she was satisfied with her appearance. She grabbed the bag which she had packed the night before and walked out the door.

The carriage has already been brought to the front, and the camping equipment was set aside, ready to be loaded onto the carriage. Not seeing anyone around, she simply left her bag near the equipment and headed to the dining hall.

Surprisingly, the gang was already there, starting on an early breakfast. Cyrus, Lorilie, Brad, and Zoran were all seated about a table eating quietly, along with a few others she did not recognize. There were the only ones in the hall, besides the kitchen staff that had begun making breakfast for the guild.

Samari walked over to them, sitting down at an open seat. "Good morning, everyone. Are we...all ready for the t-trip?" she asked.

"Hey, look who finally made it!" Brad commented. "Good to have you."

Cyrus took an empty plate from the center and served portions of food onto it for her. He set a fork on the plate and passed it to her. Thanking him, she took it.

"Seems like it. There is more things we've got to bring out, but we decided to eat while the food was hot," a Marshan informed her.

Her mouth full, she nodded in acknowledgment. She swallowed and said, "Are you guys...coming...with us?"

He nodded. Not knowing what else to say, she went back to her meal.

"Are you all set, Sam? You seem a bit dazed," Zoran noted.

She waved a hand in front of her face. "I-I'm alright, just...tired, is all. I was so excited that, that I...didn't fall asleep easily...last night."

"It be like that sometimes," Brad said.

The table was mostly quiet as they ate, just idle chatter from wayward comments. Once they were finished, they went right back into preparing to leave. With all of them together, it was quick work gathering everything and loading it on the carriage under Zoran's instructions.

By the time they were all packed, the rest of the guild was up and about. Some of them said goodbyes to the group on their way through their daily routine.

"Alright, looks like we are just waiting on Zoran to bring back our allowances and we'll be off!" Brad declared after he rechecked the load.

"We get allowances?" Sam wondered aloud.

"Yeah, so we can buy some stuff at the festival. Teams that go on jobs get paid, but since the rest of us are cooped up here all the time, Father Nerok likes to give us a little to enjoy," he explained.

She nodded, her hand gliding to where her coin purse was only to find it missing. Patting the area, she looked down to see that in her rush that morning, she had not put on her belt.

"I-I forgot so-something. I'll be...right back!"

Despite them telling her not to rush, she dashed to the dorms. She looked through her belts until she found the one that her coin pouch was attached to. With the same swiftness, she began down the hallway, only to turn back partway. Trying to be quick, she scrambled through her draws until she found what she was looking for. She clipped it onto her belt and walked out.