Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven: The Fire

When the books had said that the temples used to be safe havens, they weren't kidding. From the way it was designed, you could grow and store enough food that you never had to leave . Even water came to you. If they had a mage who could accelerate the growth of plants, they could grow trees to build arrows and spears.

Despite the setting sun signaling the end of the workday, the temple was still bustling with energy. People came out in small groups, heading to the red building, most likely for dinner.

The wagon rolled down the boundary hills, not waiting for Samari to finish oggling at it. A few people waved to them once they got closer, smiling not just at Zoran, but at Samari as well.

It was a bit of a strange sight to her. All around were people of all tribes, and many had the attributes of several tribes mixed together as well. Most of the tribes she had never seen in person, had only learned of in history books.

Is this what the Chalde tribe is like? They seem so integrated together that it is hard to distinguish if someone is pure or mixed.

Now that I think about it, Zoran is mixed too. He's definitely Forestian, but what else? Maybe Skian?

Suddenly, Samari, who also had no clear tribe, felt both excited and nervous.

"Do you really think... they'll talk with me?"

The words left her mouth so softly, leaving a foreign taste in her lips. Hope, that's what there was. Hope, and the fear that the hope would be destroyed.

This place looked so nice. These people didn't even know her, yet they smiled and waved like she was an old friend. They were quite accepting of the strange girl, despite her ruggish attire that made her look and feel like a street urchin.

"How about I introduce you to the guild master first? He would probably be the best person to ask if you are looking for someone," Zoran responded, driving up the path to the white building.

Right, I'm just here to find Shadow Knight and talk to him. And maybe I'll be able to offer some help with whatever it is he's doing. No need to get attached, she reminded herself.

As they got closer to the building, Samari noticed that there was a wooden carving of the Chalde royal family's crest over the front door. The Locktess crest was a heart-shaped padlock with a sword running through it as the key. Samari had seen pictures of it before, but never one that had the depth and details of this one. While it had a rustic look to it, it was kept clean and polished.

The wagon rolled to a stop in front of the patio entrance, close enough that she could step down from the seat and directly onto the stairs. Still, Zoran came around to help her, like a good gentleman. Once she was steady, he gave her back her hand and walked up to the sleek stone steps.

She took her time looking around at the architecture, amazed by the way the massive cream columns connected with the roof. Round and round she turned at the top, viewing the beauty of the valley from her position. She had seen fields of green many times before, but this one seemed less real somehow–or, perhaps, it felt more real.

Feeling energized, she whirled around to find Zoran standing much closer than she thought he was. She stumbled back in surprise, only to go right over the edge of the stair.

She had a moment of panic as she felt nothing but air underneath her feet. Her arms flared out widely in a frantic attempt to catch herself on anything she could.

Her arm was jerked away, pulling her back onto solid ground. Although back at safety, her face got hot at the feeling of his embrace. They were really close.