Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine: Cover Your Clumsy

Sunlight drifted in the window, landing gracefully on Samari's sleeping form. The birds were singing in the treetops, their morning's work already finished. Noises of people hurrying to work in the halls urged the girl to awaken from her slumber.

Her eyes flickered open, squeezing back shut after they caught a direct view of the sun. Rolling over and burying her head in her pillow, she opened them once more. It took a few blinks before they stopped blinking slowly, no longer wanting to close again.

With a yawn, she did a few stretches while kneeling over her bed. Her legs then slid over the edge, her feet hitting the cool hardwood of the floor.

It was a brand new day, one that she was sure she needed to start right.

The first thing she did was make her bed, being sure to tuck in the quilt on all sides. Next, she moved to the dresser she had been given to begin the search for decent clothing.

When she had entered her room before, she had found a fresh set of clothes and her bag, which was mostly empty. There was a note from Zoran on it saying that her stuff had been sent to the laundry for cleaning and patchwork.

While she was grateful, she was terrified at the thought that he had just taken her stuff without her permission. She had not asked for it.

What if he took one look at it and decided that it was so horrible that it had to be sent for deep cleaning--or worse, thrown away--immediately? What did he think of her?

Last night had been a bit helpful to her. The group had taken her on a tour of the main building, although there was a lot that she didn't remember. Granted, now she had a sense of where she was going, but it wasn't a whole lot.

The building was massive. On the first floor was where all the work got done. The workspaces were more like wings than rooms. There was a section for all of the laundry of the temple to be done, a massive amount of clothing. Others she could remember seeing was the seamstress's wing, healer's room, the repairman's wing, the crafter's wing, and the archive, to name a few.

The second floor held the living quarters. There was no special dividing of the men from the women, other than the bathing rooms. Every four rooms were given a number to share, making it easier to not lose your room. She knew that there must be hundreds of rooms, for her room had the number 78A on it.

It was a nicer room than she had ever lived in. There were two twin beds with the heads pushed against the wall, a closet on the sides of them. While a nightstand kept the beds apart, across from them were two chests of drawers. A single desk sat in the corner by the window.

With her back to the window, she saw that her roommate was long gone. That was fine by her, seeing as how they didn't seem to get along all that well.

After the tour of the building last night, she had taken a long bath to scrub away all the dirt and grime from her journey. It felt so nice to be clean! She opened her drawers to find a freshly cleaned set of clothes for her to wear. Smiling, she quickly changed into the skort and tube top.

Strapping on her waist belt, she removed her purse from the clip. Her fingers ran over the key, leaving it right where it was for her to play with. She slipped on the ankle boots before heading off to help with breakfast.

She flung the door open, confused when she felt it wack into something halfway. Taking a look around, she found a dazed Cyrus holding his nose on the other side. Her eyes went wide and she realized what she had just done.

"Oh-oh no, I-I am so sorry!" she squealed as she rushed to help him. "I did-didn't see you th-there!

Cyrus held the bridge of his nose, his face scrunched up in pain. With his violet eyes glaring at her, he said, "I came over to walk you to breakfast, and this is my reward? Leave it to the new girl to ruin my day."