Chapter Nineteen

Chapter Nineteen: Searching The City

If there was one thing Lorilie hated most about the festival, it was the masses of people who insisted on crowding the streets. Her hatred was amplified now because the crowd had caused her to lose sight on Samari and Zoran. She would have to search for them.

The city of Xenzie was at it's busiest this time of year. The streets were packed with markets and vendors and festivities. There were stalls everywhere displaying goods made by Lake Sheca's residents unique to the region.

There was a spice in the air from the buzz of the bloom. Decorations hung from lampposts and rooftops, strings of ornaments in front of each shop.

Lorilie rubbernecked when she saw a particular ornament draped over a stand of trinkets. It was made of silver strings rope-braided with wooden moons hanging from it. The ornaments were carved to show the moon's cycle, some painted black to represent the new moon.

"Ah, like my banner, do you?" a voice said.

Lori turned her attention to the woman sitting in the stall. She looked too young to have made the exquisite handcrafts that she was selling. Her skin and hair were the color of fresh soil, showing strong Earthern blood. Despite her age, she was built for labor, matching her deep voice.

Her accent intrigued Lorilie. It was thick, yet not too difficult to understand. Never once had she heard an accent like that before, meaning that this Earthern had not come from the area.

"You 'ave a good eye. Those ornaments 'ave been passed down in my family for generations. Dere ar' many tales dat 'ang wit' it as well," she continued.

Her eyelashes were unusually short, and the skin around her eyes was dry, as if she had been rubbing them a lot. The amber flecks in the green orbs seemed to hold many secrets; a thing of folklore, swirling with deep knowledge.

The feline shifted her gaze, intimidated. "Sorry, but I'm too busy now to listen to your stories. Maybe another time," she stated, turning to leave.

A hissing laugh stopped her in her tracks. She looked back to see the smirk on the merchant's face, although she wished that she hadn't.

This girl knows something. I can smell it on her.

"And what mi't it be dat you ar' look'ng for, my dear?"

Lori's emerald skillets sent the woman a threatening glare. Her features were stern as she stalked back to the stall, shoppers briskly avoiding her.

Leaning towards the merchant, she placed her hand on the decorative tablecloth. "How might you know that I'm looking for something at all?" she growled.

I don't know what she's trying to do, but I don't like it, her instincts hissed.

The smile on the girl's face did not change as she replied, "It is easy to tell when one is searching for somet'ing. And for me, it is just as easy to 'ind what you seek."

She caught a whiff of a familiar scent and whirled around, eyes wide. There in the crowd quickly approaching her were Zoran and Samari.

Her eyes narrowed at the merchant as they came closer, but the trader simply winked at her before looking at them.

"Ah, my best customer, you made it 'ere. And you brought a friend, too," she cooed.

He grinned at her happily. "I did say I would come. This is Samari, a new member of the Mystics. Sam, this is Jackie Summer, a good friend of mine."

Samari and the trader shook hands, the mina giving a stuttering greeting that made Lorilie scowl. Zoran's gaze drifted around before landing on her. Shocked, he stepped back.