Chapter Thirty

Chapter Thirty: To The Races

"We only have fourteen people still in the match. That means we each have to take on, what, like ten people?" Cyrus inquired.

"Something like that," Tim answered. "But it's not as though it's just us that people will be trying to beat. We can let them take each other out."

The smell of sausages and baked bread wafted in the area. It was crowded, but those who had made it past the second round of the tournament were huddled together for a strategy meeting.
It would have been better to do it before breakfast, just a few hours before the final round, but many people were out until late the night before.

Breakfast provided to be a distraction from the meeting, but it was also the only thing keeping everyone in one place. Some distractions had to be tolerated.

Because of the circumstances, Samari was sitting with Lorilie and Cyrus as they talked. She was feeling much better than she had felt the day before, to the point where she wanted the meeting to end quickly so she could chat with her friends.

"Hey, so, Baden and I checked out to see what the final round would look like," someone informed them. "It seems to be an obstacle course with five paths, but we couldn't figure out where it finishes. We did find some kind of clearing with pedestals, a big, open place."

Putting her hand on his chin, Tim folded his arm across his chest and rested his other elbow on it. After a few moments, he said, "So-so, that would, uh, that would be three people per path, and the last path would just have two. Let's do--"

He stopped abruptly when Dillian jogged over to him. While they spoke back and forth, the people who were listening lost interest and began chatting with each other.

"I can't tell if it would be better if we were on a team together or not," Cy said to Samari.

She chewed and swallowed her bit of melon before replying, "Uh, true. Cause we-we know each other's fighting styles, and it would be cool if we could...do the round together, but we a-are both weaker than everyone else."

"I don't know about that," Lorilie said. "You may still need a lot of work, but I think Cyrus is ready for the mage test."

Eyes widening, he choked on his breath. "Really? I've failed a lot."

"Yeah, so? If you aren't ready now, you'll be ready when this thing is over."

"--guys, shut up and listen!" Tim's voice called above the noise.

Cyrus covered his mouth, looking around to see if anyone was glaring at them for talking.

"Thank you! Now, Dillian here is gonna take one of the minas--uh, Sam, I think--and go down the middle path. Then we're gonna have some team captains to make their own teams for the other paths. Those'll be me, Zoran, Caryn, and Lyme. Sound good?" the battlemage announced.

A chorus of confirmations called out. "Alright, we're done then. Figure the rest out with your captains."

Once he was finished, Cyrus teased, "Wow, aren't you special? You had someone specifically choose you."

"Although not as nice as being a team captain," Lorilie chuckled.

Samari raised her eyebrows. "Are you just jealous that Zoran was picked and y-you weren't?"

The feline's tail flicked back and forth rapidly, her eyes unblinking as she stared at the brunette. Samari clenched her first, looking down at her food. She didn't know exactly what her movements meant, but she knew enough to see that Lorilie was upset.