Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight: Meeting the Mina

From how big the dinner hall was, you would think that there would be enough seats. There must not have been, because half of the people were standing up, trampling around with their trays about to be smashed into their clothes when they bump into each other. Then again, she could only see about half of the room from the entrance.

Everyone paused when they heard the door thud behind them. They turned to see who had entered, and they beamed when they realized who it was. A chorus of voices called out in greetings to Nerok before the bubbling chatter resumed.

"Come with me. I'll introduce you to your roommate and her friends," he told her.

He lead her through the crowd and in between the tables quickly being filled, people stopping to say hello and let them by. It brightened her heart, for it was not Nerok they were greeting. A few said things like, "Welcome to the guild. If you need any help, feel free to ask someone!"

Samari wondered how they knew that she was new. One possibility was because she was walking with the guild master. Another could be that they didn't recognize her so they assume that she just joined them.

Or it could be both. It was very possibly both.

Rather abruptly, Father Nerok stopped walking. She almost bumped into him as he turned to a table. There were three people already there with just as many open seats.

"Samari, this is going to be your roommate, Lorilie," he motioned to the only girl at the table.

Lorilie was a tall girl with a head full of long, luscious coffee hair. Her skin was a sun-baked, making her sparkling green eyes shine. Although her body was small and petite, she kept her shoulders back in a dignified manner which made her appear as a fighter.

The most unique part about her was what was sticking out of her dark hair. There on top of her head were cat ears. Strangely enough, they looked perfectly in place on her.

She didn't pay Samari much attention. Her eyes shifted to her for a moment, her ears perking up before she went back to her meal. Samari could have sworn she saw her eyes sharpen into daggers at the sight of her.

Okay, so my roommate is an introverted, temperamental cat. I can work with that. Maybe, she mused, considering whether her thoughts were judgmental or deductive.

Swiftly, she shifted her gaze to the other people at the table. One Aqua lad looked like a wet beach. His head resembled fresh water, being a brilliant shade of blue that seemed to swish about, and his skin was as dark as though he had dyed it with mud.

Right away, she could tell that he was the social butterfly who made everyone join in the group. As she surveyed him over, he caught her right in the eye. Her gaze drifted to his lips as he spoke to her.

"Hey, Sam, I'm Cyrus, but you can call me Cy if you what. Do you mind if I call you Sam or do you prefer Samari?" he inquired as he stared at her.

She stalled for a moment before responding, "Uh, whatever you...want to-to call me is fine. No one has called me that before, so it-it's kinda...weird but uh, kinda...nice." Her lips pulled into a timid smile.

"Awesome!" he replied.

"Hey, don't let this guy get to you. He'll drive you crazy every day of the week!" the dark haired guy said. "I'm Brad, just Brad. Don't do any favors to ocean head over here. He's been working on his hypnosis spell and looking for test subjects. It has not been pretty."