Executive Dysfunction

(1117 words)

He tries to be productive.

He tries to do things, not be lazy, clean up, work hard, but he just can't sometimes.

Sometimes he can just get up and do whatever. Make a sandwich, pick up his sock, feed his rock. But other times he can't do it, he tries to get up and put away his share of the laundry, or make supper for himself and Papyrus but he can't get up, or he gets there and he can't start.

Maybe he's just lazy.

Maybe he just needs to stop being such a baby and go do things.

Maybe he just doesn't want to do anything productive.

That's what everyone tells him anyways. That he's lazy and needs to just suck it up and go.

He can't figure it out. He wants to do things but he can't, even fun things like going to Grillbys are sometimes impossible. A lot of the time he is just laying on his bed, staring up at the ceiling, waiting for his brother to come 'wake him up'.

That's just what he is doing right now, not that he is normally ever asleep. Normally he just pretends to be asleep when he hears his brother coming up the stairs. It's easier than trying to explain why he's just been laying on his bed not doing anything for the past hour.

"SANS!"

Right on time.

"Sans! it's almost lunch! luckily you did not have work this morning, otherwise you'd have slept right through it!" Papyrus walks into Sans's room rambling on about how irresponsible he is. "I'd have thought that the hunger you get from not eating all night would wake you up at least!"

What Papyrus doesn't know is that it did. he woke up around four in the morning, absolutely starving but he couldn't get up. It was like he was being held down by some invisible force until he starved to death. Eventually he forgot why he was awake, forgetting his hunger altogether.

"Sorry bro, I guess I was just bone tired." Sans says sleepily. "OH MY GOSH SANS! can't you go five minutes after waking up to make a bad pun?!" Sans continues lying on his bed, only moving his eyes to look at his brother. "I found it pretty humerus"

"UGH! what ever! just hurry up and get downstairs before you're late for afternoon sentry duty." Sans has to think fast. He can't get up and this is his only chance to have someone help him get started. "Hey paps can you give me a hand? my backbone is sore from how well i slept."

Not one of his best's but if it gets Papyrus to get him up, he'll do anything.

"You are so lazy Sans." Papyrus says picking up his brother. "I know bro... you're the best" Papyrus gives a little 'NEYH' and caries his smaller brother down to the kitchen where he plops him on the floor. "You make lunch today, and I'll make dinner." Sans groans.

Normally he makes dinner. It gives him more time to think about what he needs to make and how to do it before it comes time for dinner.

"Sans don't be a baby, besides, you need to start being more responsible, and learn how to make something other than instant noodles and pizza." Sans puts on an over exaggerated smile and sits down on a chair. "But bro, there's nothing better than noodles and pizza."

"Except for spaghetti." Papyrus says indignantly "Now I'm going to get ready for work and you are going to make lunch. No slacking off, and no being lazy. Got that?" Sans nods trying to seem totally fine and not screaming inside. "You got it bro." He says giving the tall skeleton a thumbs up.

Papyrus walks out of the room, scarf trailing after him.

Sans lets out a breath and slouches in his seat.

'What do I do? should I stick with what I know I can do and make Papyrus angry? or do I try, and probably fail, at making something new? If I make something new I'm not sure if I'll even be able to start. Um... think think think! uh... eggs? maybe... sure I can do eggs. how do I start eggs?'

Sans sits on the chair, seemingly doing nothing, for a good ten minutes before he finally can get himself to get up and start some food.

He opens the fridge. step one complete.

he goes through small steps like this until he finally get the eggs into the pan on the stove-top. Sans places his hands on his hips, proud of himself for, even on one of his bad days, getting up and making something new that he doesn't have mentally planned out step by step already.

"Sans, you'd better have finished making lunch. It's been over an hour!" Papyrus walks back into the kitchen, fully dressed for sentry duty. "Is that eggs?" Papyrus questions, sniffing the air. "Sans, eggs only take like, ten minutes to make. How are these still not done? I mean really, how hard is it to get up and make some eggs?"

Sans shoves his hands into his pockets, looking down at the ground.

He doesn't say anything but he wants to say everything. He wants to tell Papyrus how hard it is to just get up every day, how much he feels like he has to work just so he can eat a new meal. He wants to say how proud he was of himself for even starting the eggs on a day like this.

But he doesn't.

He stands there receiving the same lecture he always gets because to him and everyone else he's just a lazy good for nothing couch potato that is too lazy to even make himself a meal. It's not like Papyrus knows what he's doing to Sans,he thinks he's trying to help his brother become a better person, and Sans can't figure out how to tell him.

He's never heard of things like Autism or Executive dysfunction. All he knows is that he is lazy and he needs to stop.

So he stands there once again, getting the same message drilled into his skull that he needs to be better.

But he just can't

===========================================================================

Hello! hoped you enjoyed that little one-shot! it was based off of some of my own experiences and other's that I've seen or read about. I haven't been officially dx with Executive dysfunction but almost everything about it fits with me, plus it's often pared with ASD which i do have.

ANYWHO! if you liked this, give it a review and tell me what you think, also tell me if you'd like other one shots that go along with my autistic skelebros headcannon! until next time bye! .O/

(I can't believe I just wrote an entire one-shot when I should be wrighting D-Day XD)