13: Reset

(1290 Words)

Sans walks down the stairs of his and his brother's house, tired out of his mind.

"Hey Paps" He calls as he enters the kitchen. "Hello brother... are you still not sleeping well? is it because we moved to the surface?" Papyrus asks, putting down the spatula he was using to cook some eggs.

"Na, it's fine. I just don't sleep well in general" Sans say sitting down on a chair. "Say, What day is it?"

"Tuesday." Papyrus answers. "Though, I may be wrong, it's hard to tell. Things are so different now that we're on the surface."

Sans holds his head up with his hand on the table. "Yeah, but it's a lot better than that hole in the ground we lived in before." His eyes go dark for a moment before returning to normal.

"Sans, you are so negative! We had a nice deal in the underground. We had a house and jobs and we were completely fine!" Papyrus says enthusiastically.

"Sure bro." Sans says, laying his head all the way onto the table.

Papyrus sets a plate of eggs in front of Sans and goes to pour him a glass of milk. "For your bones!"

Sans grabs the ketchup bottle that had been sitting on the table and turns it upside-down, squirting ketchup all over his eggs. "You are so gross!" Papyrus says, sitting down with his own eggs.

They eat in silence until there was a knock on the door.

"I'll get it!" Papyrus almost shouts.

Sans watches Papyrus leave the kitchen and into the living-room.

Sans takes a bite of his ketchup covered eggs and waits for his brother to come back. "Hey Paps who was that?" He asks when Papyrus comes back. "Just Undyne dropping off some books she borrowed the other day."

Sans 'humpf' s and goes back to eating, not with a single worry.

~~~

The next day Sans wakes up, ready for another new day on the surface.

That's what he really loved about being on the surface, new days with new things that happened. Every single day was a new day that, even if he did nothing each day, something new happened.

Sans walks down the stairs of his and his brother's house, almost as tired as he was the day before.

"Hey Paps" He calls as he enters the kitchen. "Hello brother... are you still not sleeping well? is it because we moved to the surface?" Papyrus asks, putting down the spatula he was using to cook some eggs.

"Na, it's fine. I just don't sleep well in general" Sans say sitting down on a chair. "Say, What day is it?"

"Tuesday." Papyrus answers. "Though, I may be wrong, it's hard to tell. Things are so different on the surface."

Sans freezes.

'Tuesday.'

'Wasn't it Tuesday yesterday?'

Sans looks up at Papyrus, his bones shaking a small amount. "P-Paps w-wasn't it Tuesday, uh yesterday."

"Didn't think so." He replies, setting a plate of eggs in front of Sans, along with a glass of milk. "For your bones!"

At this point Sans is completely sure that this had happened before.

He slowly puts ketchup on his eggs and stares at them.

Papyrus sits down with his own eggs and takes a bite."You're so gross!" He looks at Sans who is staring into his eggs like they held the secret to the universe. "Sans what's going on with you today." He says, not really asking a question.

"Papyrus, Y-You- Undyne isn't returning any books today, right?"

"Uh... I thinks so. She borrowed my Puzzles through the ages volume twelve."

The doorbell rings and Papyrus stands up. "I'll get it!"

Sans holds his head in his hands, his eyes closed tight. "No, No, No. It's reset. All of it."

Sans starts rocking, his head pounding and his hands shaking.

"When did it reset? Was it yesterday? Did we go through this all over again from the start?" He tries to hold himself together but it was to no avail.

He digs his fingers into his skull, not sure how to cope with the fact that the world had seemingly reset it's self again.

"Thanks Undyne!"

Papyrus walks from the living room back to the kitchen. "Sorry Sans, Undyne just forgot to give back one of the books yesterday."

Papyrus looks at his brother who is now sitting with his head on the table. "Sans, what happened?" He walks over to Sans and hesitates to place his hand on his shoulder.

Maybe he shouldn't do that.

"Sans, what's wrong?" Papyrus asks, walking around to look at Sans in the face.

"Reset. It's reset." Sans says quietly.

Papyrus leans closer to him. "What's reset?"

Sans throws his head back. "EVERYTHING! IT'S ALL BEEN RESET!" 

Papyrus flinches back as Sans unexpectedly yells. "Sans, it's alright, nothing happened. nothing's been reset."

Papyrus goes back around the table again, moving the uneaten food out of the way. He tightly wraps his arms around his brother. "Sans, it'a alright."

"It's the same day!" Sans says to Papyrus. "You said it was the same day. Undyne. She came over. The books, the food. It's all the same!"

Sans almost melts into Papyrus' arms. "It's not reset Sans. I'm not sure what you mean by that but I got the days mixed up. It's Wednesday. Undyne forgot to give back one of the books she borrowed. I just like making eggs!"

Sans looks up at his brother. "Papyrus..." He hugs Papyrus. "I'm sorry, I was so scared. I thought it reset."

Papyrus smiles at Sans. "No matter what, I promise nothing will ever reset"

Sans looks down at his feet that were hanging off the chair. "You don't know that." He mumbles.

"what was that?" Papyrus asks, only having heard part of what he said.

Sans tries to perk up a little for his brother. "I- uh, I said you- you're right. Thank you"

Papyrus happily rubs Sans' shoulder. "No problem brother! I am always correct!"

Sans smiles, though he still looks for differences and similarities for the rest of the day, he was reassured by his brother reminding him it was all okay.

~~~

Sorry for the super late update, school sucks and is really hard so updates are super tough for all my stories.

This chapter was suggested by Killeraudio! They suggested paranoia of resets for Sans.

I personally am not that paranoid... Except for every-time I go upstairs to my room I keep my back to the wall and go up the stairs sideways so nobody can come up behind me without me seeing them... And I can't shower without the shower curtain open because there might be someone out there... And I literally cannot fall asleep while the light is off in my room...

So as I said, not paranoid at all. (Sarcasm)

How about... I know this isn't really being paranoid, but how about if you review you say one of your fears! I have a fear (Phobia) of bugs. I'm also always scared of any monster/creature that has elongated limbs. Like the puppet from five nights at Freddie's or the hollows from miss peregrine's home for peculiar children.

(Also to OnePunchLine, I finished editing your story but you disabled your messaging so I can't give it to you.)

Give me a review to tell me what you thought of this chapter and have a fantabulous day full of fun times and fearless nights!