15: Job Hunt

(1516 words)

Sans sits with his skull leaning on his hand, Papyrus lecturing him half to death.

Again.

"-And you really should get a job because it could help you get more organized and it'd bring more gold in so that we can eat." Papyrus finishes his lecture with a huge 'Humph.'

"Alright Paps, I'll see what I can do." Sans says, pushing himself off the couch.

"I bet there'll be openings at almost all the shops in Snowdin. The owners are always talking about how busy they are." Papyrus offers, starting to go back up the stairs. "You go out and get a job! Don't come back until you have a job!"

Sans stands up and stretches. He'd been out a job for almost two months. There was just so many steps that went into getting a job it was a tough task to ask of him. But for his brother, he'd do anything.

Sans heads up the stairs, going straight to his room to put on a clean shirt and shorts. He grabs a child's size pair of basket ball shorts and a plain white t-shirt as always and slips them on, walking out his bedroom door with a satisfied sigh.

At least if he had to go out and be generally uncomfortable he could wear something that wasn't horribly constricting.

Before he had gotten three feet from his doorway. Papyrus had slammed his door open and looked directly at Sans like he had sensed that he wasn't wearing the 'right' clothes. He looks Sans up and down before stomping over to him.

"Sans, what are you wearing!?" Papyrus half screeched.

Sans looks down at his outfit and back up to Papyrus. "Uh... Clothes?"

"No no no." Papyrus says, pushing Sans back towards his room. He crosses the threshold of the room and stumbles on a pile of laundry. "Ugh, clean up." He says under his breath. Stepping over the piles of junk in Sans' room.

He makes it over to the dresser and opens the very bottom drawer, pulling out a suit coat and pants combo. "Pap, no." Sans whines. "Please, I'm looking for a job, not going to a wedding. Can't I just wear some nice pants or something?"

Papyrus shakes his head. "Sans if you're ever going to get a job, you have to look respectable."

Sans backs up a little. "Come on Papyrus, I don't need to look like the fanciest monster alive or anything."

~~~

Within fifteen minutes Sans was pulling at the collar of a black suit with a blue tie, dress shoes shined and squeaking against the floor. "There, that's not so bad, and you look very respectable!" Papyrus says with a smile.

"Yeah. respectable." Sans grumbles. "You want me to wear a top hat and grow a mustache too?"

Papyrus places his hands on his hips. "Be real Sans. We're going for respectable, not fancy." Papyrus herds Sans out of his room and towards the stairs. "Now go. I know there's jobs out there and you're gonna go get one." And with that Papyrus strides proudly to his room, closing the door with a soft click.

Sans sighs and turns around, moving as quietly as he could to his room. He slips inside and goes over to his bed. And by bed it means a mattress on the floor. He reaches within his bundle of sheets and pulls out a small, heavy toy. It looked like a ketchup bottle. It had a nice weight to it and a small face on the side. Sans slips it into the pocket of his suit jacket and quickly and quietly leaves his room.

He walks down the stairs, skipping a stair every two to avoid the squeaking ones.

He skips the last stair, glancing back at the nine stairs it took to get to the lower level. "We really shouldnt've made that many stairs." Sans says, shoving his hand in his pocket.