Russell

Mika’s POV   

I was really excited to come to school today. Not only did I want to see Ariana, but I also bought her something. A bracelet. I figured it was the least I could do since she was such a great friend. It was very pretty, I think. Light pink crystals strung together in a beautiful bracelet. It even glistened in the light. It was also like sixty dollars at Dillard’s, so I hoped she liked it.  She told me last night, over text, that she wishes that I was her brother. I really wasn’t sure what that meant, but I did know that she would never (ever) think of me as a boyfriend.

So, I walked into school this morning feeling super pumped. I couldn’t wait to see her face when she saw the bracelet. I rounded the corner to the hall where her locker was located. I saw her fumbling with things in her locker. She looked so nice today. Sighhh.

I lightly walked over to her and slid behind her open locker door. She slammed it shut and jumped when she saw me, but smiled when she knew it was just me. “Good morninngggg, love.” I said. Whoa. I called her, love? That just slipped out. She smiled brightly and said “Hi, Mika!” I was relieved that she didn’t mention that I accidentally called her, love.

“What’s up?” she asked.

“Oh. Well. I uh got you something.”

She pretended to be shocked and then laughed, “Really?”

I grinned, “Yep”

I slid my hand in my pocket and grabbed the small pink box. At first, her face was worried, but then she smiled and held out her hand, lifting her ring finger a little higher than the rest of her fingers. I smiled and laughed, “It’s not a ring. Sorry.”

She laughed. “I know, I know…Now open the box!” When I did, she squeaked a little in the most adorable way ever. She asked, “What’s this for?”

“For being my friend.” I said smiling. I’m glad she liked it. I took the bracelet out of the box and fastened the clasp around her wrist.  I looked up and she jumped at me hugging me. Wow. She’s hugging me. I was so happy. Maybe she would like me. More than just a brother.

*  *  *

            I saw Ariana afterschool again, and she was walking pretty quickly out to her car.She avoided looking at anyone. She walked even faster after hearing her name being called. I looked in the direction of the voice. Once I saw the face, I knew why she was acting like that. It was Russell. “What does he want?” I muttered angrily to myself. That punk’s behavior was so incorrigible. Russell had a leather jacket on and in his hand was the bracelet?  I felt my face turninto a frown. I looked back at Ariana. Her hand was shielding her eyes now. She was crying. Russell realized that I was glaring him from several feet away. He grinned mischievously and yelled “Hey Ari! If you really cared about Mika then why did you give this to me?” What? Shegave that to him? I wasn’t paying attention apparently, because two of Russell’s gang membersstarted carrying me towards him. Ariana whipped around and screamed. I shot my gaze back onRussell to see that he had taken a pocket knife and cut the bracelet. Even though it was justthis morning, the bracelet had a sentimental and latent meaning. It was our friendship. My jawdropped as I watched the pink crystal beads drop and scatter in slow motion.  “Russell!” I heard Ariana scream. I looked up to see that Ariana ran back to Russell. “Why did you do that?”she screeched.  Russell’s grin was turning into a cackle. Ariana was getting so flustered andangry. Next thing I knew she struck his face with her fist.  Russell stopped laughingimmediately. His eyes widened as he wrapped his head around what just happened. “You know,”he started to say, “I’m not supposed to hit a girl, even if she hit me first. So that’s why I’m goingto take it out on your little friend here.” he finished as his head turned towards me.  I looked atAriana and she started to cry again; I even heard her say ‘I’m sorry. Don’t do it.” I shot a glareback at Russell.  He came at me with a militant strike in the stomach. I groaned as the pain spread and caused me to fall to the ground. I couldn’t even stand up. I felt another one in myface.  My left cheek throbbed as the force from his punch made my head smack the concrete onthe ground Russell kicked me one last time and left me there. Just like before, a crowd hadformed; they were laughing and pointing. I knew this feeling all too well. It was embarrassment.Ariana was in my sight once again and she was crying more than ever. Next to her was theprincipal. My stomach flopped. If she told the principal, then Russell would be in trouble.  IfRussell got in trouble then who knows what he would do to me.  I heard Ariana whisper into myear “I’m sorry Mika.” Then she rested her head upon my chest until the students cleared up andthe sun had disappeared.