chapter 1 || you want a blood red, not a congealed fat white

The thickly rimmed glasses perched on my nose begged me to set them straight as they slid, only to betray me and slide down even further. I had no choice but to comply, while continuing to mix around my chemicals and periodically taking breaks to note my observations in chicken scratch. The sudden presence of a deep blood-like crimson and bubbles in the previously clear solution caught my eye. I pursed my lips. That was not supposed to be the outcome. After meticulous drop-by-drop modification, I was finally satisfied.

As I set my beakers and test tubes back in their place, I surveyed the rest of the class in search of someone else who had finished. With Choosing Season inching closer and closer, the school year was finally coming to a close. Of course, I had never had any struggle with my education; growing up in Erudite had given me a knack for academics.  Despite this, I abhorred the condescending know-it-alls with a constant need to prove everyone wrong. My only other critique was that every Erudite teen was so work-oriented and dedicated to getting perfect grades, we seldom had time to have fun and go on adventures. But don't get me wrong, I loved it here.  I adored the orderly white walls that framed my life, I strived to be straightforward and reliable like everyone else, and I admired the common desire for success that tied us together.

"Edward, would you mind looking at this for me? The indicator is too red." My lab partner slash best friend jerked his head up at my absentminded request. Having known each other since we were in pre-school, we had come to recognize who was stronger in which subjects. When it came to biology, I could never be beat. Much to my dismay, however, he always managed to surpass me in chemistry.  Either way, we helped each other wherever we were stronger.  That's how we became such an unstoppable team. Edward and I swapped places.

"It's too acidic," he stated flatly. "You need to add more of the sodium carbonate."  A vial of the base dangled between his sure and steady hands as my impatient foot-tapping ceased.  Experiencing yet another aha moment, I smacked my forehead and accepted his suggestion.

"Pardon my intrusion, but yours is looking a little too orange.  How much carboxylic acid did you add?" I questioned.

"Three moles."  I hummed tunefully as I looked over my notes. 

"Strange.  Add another two, two and a half, maybe. That should do the trick." Edward nodded proudly at my unusually correct suggestion.  I was too focused on my project to be disturbed by the squeaking Edward's shoes on the floor as we switched back. Without a second thought, I poured the contents of my vial into the larger beaker.  The Amity red began to morph into a blood-like scarlet.  After agreeing with Edward that it was correct, I gingerly brought my beaker to my teacher at the back of the classroom.  She perked up from behind her thin blue glasses at the sound of my footsteps.

"Thank you, miss Taylor.  Please label it with your full name, faction, and period.  You may leave and prepare for your next class."  I nodded gratefully, grabbing a marker and beginning to write on the glass.  As the squeaking of writing my last name ceased, a frustrated groan escaped from behind me.  I rolled my eyes while drawing the top line of the first E in ERUDITE. A series of clinks rang out amid the regular classroom chatter before the unnamed public disturbance voiced their frustration again.  I craned my neck around, seething with irritation, to find a tall Candor boy glaring at his materials. I fought the urge to laugh at him as he attempted to decipher his textbook as if it was in a foreign language. Needless to say, it wasn't working. I rolled my eyes yet again and continued writing on my beaker.

Another groan.

"For goodness' sake," I snapped, just loud enough so that he could hear.  I swivelled around to face him. The boy looked up at me with furrowed eyebrows.