9.

"Are you ready for the rival game tomorrow?" Charnae asked Leon as they played chess in his bedroom. It was Friday morning and Leanne was in the kitchen making them breakfast. Leon arrived back at the house around eight after an early morning practice. He took an hour nap and it was almost ten.

"Yeah, I love rival games." Leon replied as he made his move.

"Checkmate." Charnae said with a smile. "Better luck next time."

"How—rematch." Leon said as he began to set up the board again. His phone began to ring, indicating a FaceTime call from Faith. "Yo?" He answered.

"You and Char wanna go to the mall with us later on?" Faith asked.

Leon looked at Charnae who shook her head. "I can't spend anymore money until I start working at the bookstore."

Leon sucked his teeth. "We'll be there. Just let us know when y'all going."

"Okay, see y'all later." With that, they hung up.

"You think we're gonna leave you out just because you're trying to save money?" Leon scoffed. "We'll spoil you—especially Damien since you're his little sister now."

Charnae smiled. "I really do appreciate you guys. The kindness and generosity are sometimes overwhelming."

"As it should be." Leon chuckled. "You talked to your dad yesterday or today?"

"Yeah, I talked to him yesterday morning after my shower and this morning. He's been a little sad lately." Charnae sighed. "I just wish things were different, you know?"

Leon nodded. "I feel you, but better days are coming."

"Come on, babies!" Leanne yelled from the kitchen.

Leon furrowed his eyebrows as they got up from his bed. He was confused because he didn't smell any bacon grease popping. The two of them entered the kitchen and Leon instantly caught an attitude when he saw that Leanne heated up the leftover thanksgiving food instead of making actual breakfast.

"Mama!" Leon exclaimed. "What is this?!"

"Breakfast." Leanne replied nonchalantly. "Grab a plate." Leon sucked his teeth and went to grab a plate because he knew he wasn't going to win this battle.

-

"I'm glad I'm not the jealous type because my man is definitely spoiling you." Tia, Damien's now girlfriend teased.

Both Damien and Leon bought Charnae some things, but Damien cashed out with buying her two pairs of platform converse. Charnae did not need any of it, but they did it because they were so eager to give.

Charnae laughed. "I told them to stop an hour ago."

"Girl, they don't listen." Tia said, waving her off. "That's exactly why their carrying our shit."

"I'm hungry as the fuck." Jordan groaned.

"Me too. I hope y'all almost done shopping." Mike chimed in as he wrapped his arms around Faith. The two of them along with Torah and Jordan made it official a few weeks ago. Now that just left Charnae and Leon being the single ones, but neither one of them were looking.

"Where y'all wanna go?" Leon asked as he texted Leanne back.

"We can go to your mama's house. I want some of her macaroni." Damien said.

"Hell nah!" Leon exclaimed. "Quay and I had that shit last night and this morning. We're both sick of that shit."

"Where y'all wanna eat then—shit! Y'all sickening." Damien retorted.