17.

Daddy❤️: good morning, baby girl. have a good day.
Baby Girl: good morning, daddy. be safe today.

Gregory recently got his hands on a cellphone and he was able to text Charnae throughout the day. They preferred to communicate that way because they would be able to have longer conversations. Despite their argument a few weeks ago, they were able to stand on common ground and not continue to put the blame on anyone.

"Hey, Charnae." Ivy said, making her stop in her tracks. "Can I talk to you for a minute?"

"It has to be quick. My class starts in five minutes." Charnae told her.

"Yeah, I just wanted to apologize about everything. It was very childish and low down for me to act that way. I'm sorry." Ivy said sincerely.

Charnae was a bit shocked because she did not expect an apology from someone like Ivy. "I accept your apology."

Ivy nodded. "Okay, thank you. Have a good day."

"You too." Charnae replied before walking away.

"Charnae!" Jordan and Mike said in a harsh whisper as they rushed over to her.

Charnae looked at them. "What?"

"What'd she say to you? Do I need to get Faith to beat her ass?" Mike asked.

"No, she was just apologizing." Charnae answered.

"Oh, she must've got saved." Jordan chimed in.

Charnae playfully rolled her eyes. "Y'all are annoying." She laughed. "Have y'all talked to Leon? I haven't spoken to him since yesterday."

Both Mike and Jordan sighed. "Yeah, he's at mama's house. He's going through it right now." Jordan told her.

"Is everything alright?" Charnae asked.

"His dad passed away this morning."

-

"Leon?" Charnae said as she crept in his room. Leanne allowed her through the front door.

Leon paused his game and opened his arms. Charnae kicked off her shoes before climbing into his lap. "I missed you today." He mumbled.

"I tried texting you." She said.

"My phone is on do not disturb. My dad passed away this morning." Leon replied.

"I'm sorry to hear that."

Leon sighed. "Yeah, me too. I saw him last night, but I wasn't there for long. I told him that I forgive him—that's all I could do. There wasn't a point of growing a relationship with him because it was too late for that."

"Do you plan on going to the funeral?" Charnae asked.

"I don't know." Leon replied as he rested his head on Charnae's chest for comfort. "You think I should go?"

Charnae shrugged. "It's up to you. I can't really tell you what to do." Unexpectedly, Leon began crying, which shocked Charnae. She lifted his head up to make sure she wasn't assuming incorrectly and there were indeed tears spilling from his eyes. "Are you okay? What's wrong? Do I need to get your mama?!" She asked frantically.

"I'm just mad, Quay. I'm fucking mad." Leon cried. "I watched my mama fucking struggle to raise me. There were times when I had to stay with my auntie and granddaddy because my mama couldn't pay the light bill. She was the one who taught me to be a man and she shouldn't have to do that. This man missed my graduations, signing day, and everything. He didn't make an effort to meet me until he was on his fucking death bed and he expected me to welcome him with open fucking arms. Fuck that shit! Fuck him! Fuck his wife and them other kids because he neglected me for them!"

"Shhhh." Charnae said as she hugged him. She was crying along with him. She hated seeing him in so much pain.

Leanne walked into the room after hearing Leon yelling and walked over to the two. She gathered them in her arms and both of them sighed deeply as they felt comforted by her touch.

-

Leon sat in the back of the church along with Damien as they listened to the preacher's sermon. A week has gone by since his father's passing and Leon decided to go to the funeral with Damien by his side. No one knew they were there—not even Leanne who was currently working.

Leon glanced over at the section that was reserved for Deon's family. He couldn't help but feel anger because he felt like part of him was stripped away due to his father not being there for him. He was also listed in the obituary as Deon's son, which bothered him more.

After the service, Leon and Damien walked outside together and began to head towards Damien's car, but they were quickly stopped by Janelle. "I'll meet you at the car, man." He told Damien who just nodded and walked away.

"I—I just want to clear things up because I want you to have a relationship with DJ and Tierra without any animosity." Janelle said.

"Okay." Leon said simply.

"We didn't know about you until your dad got really sick, which was about four months ago. It was a shock to all of us—especially when we found out it was you. I never realized how much the two of you looked alike until he told us." Janelle paused for a couple of seconds as she wiped her tears away. "I know you're angry and it's gonna take some time, but I would like for you to have a relationship with your brother and sister. DJ is a football player for his high school and he could use some guidance."

Leon sighed loudly as he nodded. "Aight, I'll give you my number."

"Thank you so much." Janelle said as she pulled her phone out and handed it to him.

Leon registered his number in her contacts before returning it. "I guess I'll see you around."

"You're not gonna stay for the reading of the will? Deo left you something."

"Nah, I don't want whatever he left me. Keep it." With that, Leon made his way to Damien's car.

-

"Leon, don't do her like that!" Leanne scolded as she watched Leon and Charnae wrestle in the middle of the living room floor. He was currently holding her in a chokehold, trying to get her to tap out.

"Nah, she bit me." Leon replied as he watched Charnae struggle.

"Lord, what am I gonna do with these kids?" Leanne mumbled.

Charnae reached up and stuck her finger far into Leon's left nostril, making him scream and release her. Once she got out of his grip, she pounced on him and began to punch him.

"Get off of me you pigeon toed negro!" Leon laughed. Charnae laughed back and started to tickle his sides, knowing that he was extra ticklish. "Aye, chill out!" Charnae smirked as she continued tickling him. Leon couldn't contain his laughter and he quickly pushed Charnae off of him, causing her to hit the floor harder than he intended.

"Leon!" Leanne shouted. "You trying to kill the girl?!"

"I'm sorry, Quay." Leon quickly apologized as he made sure she was okay.

Charnae hissed in pain as she held her arm. "Are you okay, baby?" Leanne asked.

"Yeah, I just—ow!" She hissed.

"You need some ice?" Leon said.

"No, I need to kick yo behind!" Charnae exclaimed as she pounced on Leon again and they went back to wrestling.

Leanne sucked her teeth and rolled her eyes. "I'm done talking. Don't knock over my plants or I'm knocking some ass!"

-
-
-
-
-