Chapter 4

Rain had begun to fall as soon as the pair hit the main road. Emmeline controlled her horse with ease as she raced through the densely forested area. The lad, whose name she had learned was James, was close behind her. After thirty minutes of riding they reached the path that led up to the house. A page that was stationed at the gate forced Emmeline to slow her horse.

  "I am here to provide care." Emmeline said quickly before continuing up the path. The page began to sprint ahead of her as to alert the staff of her arrival.

She arrived at the front of the house, dismounting her horse as quickly as possible. An elderly man of about 60 or so years of age came to the door.

"Are you Somers?" He asked rigidly.

"Yes," Emmeline replies, catching her breath as she enters the manor.

"The master is in the upstairs bedroom. James will take you to him. May I be of any assistance?"

"Until I see the patient I will not know what needs to be done immediately. For now can you get a pot boiling and send it up to the chamber."

"Yes miss." He leaves and James leads Emmeline up several flights of stairs. They go down a singular hallway towards presumably the private chambers and he halts at one of the doors. He knocks quickly before entering the chamber. Emmeline follows and instantly looks for the patient. In the bed, rather than a gentleman, is a small girl. Sweat drips from her brow and her movements are slightly reckless in her sleep. She has a severe fever, Emmeline denounces quickly.

"I was expecting a man, James. Miss do you practice medicine?" A voice asks, removing Emmeline from her mental evaluation. She looks up from the bed and sees a man, about 30 standing beside it. His voice is strained and cheeks suggest he had been crying. The Earl of Wesleyan in the flesh.

"Sir I've been my father's apprentice since I could walk and have spent time in London as student of the medical field. I assure you that your child is in good hands if you let me help her." Emmeline replies calmly. She was quite used to assuring people of her skill. Being a woman in her field didn't exactly bode well with most.

"I cannot bear to lose her and will see that you are sent to rot in prison if you are lying." He replies, his voice suddenly as strong as hers.

"I will walk there myself my lord if I fail you."

"Okay Miss...?"

"Somers, Emmeline Somers."

"Miss Somers tell us what needs to be done."

"I will need a pitcher of cool water." Daniel nods and James quickly leaves the room. "The first thing we need to do is break the fever. What is the child's name?" She asks as she removes the heavy comforter from the girl and feels her head, it's burning.

"Matilda, Matilda Clarisse."

"A lovely name, my lord, a strong one as well. She's a fighter." A servant arrives with the pot of water and Emmeline goes into her bag and removes a satchel of catnip tea and puts it in the pot. "How long has she been asleep?"

"Five hours, she began heating up about an hour before I was to leave for the ball."

"That isn't too long. There's a chance we can break the fever before any serious damage is done."

"I have called my doctor from town and he should arrive tomorrow."

"May I enquire who it is, my lord?"

"Dr. Keller, Do you know him?"

"He was one of my teachers. He's a good doctor, especially for the little ones. Can you lift her into a sitting position please?"