Chapter 34

Emmeline snuck into the ballroom through one of the servants' entrances. She made it just in time to watch Matilda's grand entrance.

Charles was announced first, as his rank was slightly lower than Daniel's. He took his place at the foot of the stairs and waited for the arrival.

Daniel and Matilda are announced and they enter the room. Daniel stands with a level of forced confidence, Emmeline observes. Matilda seems excited but there's a clear nervousness in her eyes. Daniel holds her arm with his good arm and they walk down the stairs. Everyone's eyes are on them. The Earl had developed a reputation of being a bit elusive from what Emmeline heard from her patients. It made her chuckle at the thought. She had seen puppies more elusive than him. They smile at the awaiting crowd and begin to greet their guests.

The band began to play, signaling the official start to the ball.

Emmeline spots Mr. and Mrs. O'Malley across the room. She is relieved to see their familiar faces. She is afraid her own nervousness may betray her heart.

Mrs. O'Malley greets the young woman in a tight hug.

"You look marvelous tonight, my dear." She spins her around, "Doesn't she look marvelous Russell?"

"You look very nice tonight Emmeline. I know Susanna is sorry that she cannot be here. Her aunt is keeping her quite occupied."

"I am sure she will have many stories to tell when she returns. Her letters make it sound like every day is an adventure."

"Well Susanna manages to turn every day into an adventure." Mr. O'Malley jokes.

"My goodness, would you look at that." Mrs. O'Malley grabs Emmeline's arm tightly and nods towards Lydia and Lady Margaret. They were speaking with Lord Daniel and Matilda. Lydia had never looked more stunning. A perfectly tailored cream gown laced with gold thread highlighted all of her best features. A gold tiara adorned her head. She looked almost as if she were heading to her wedding instead of a simple country ball. Emmeline was sure Lady Margaret had a hand in this. She also observed that Lord Daniel was showing a keen interest in her. His laugh could be heard from the opposite of the room. She was sure their would be more talk of their potential nuptials.

"Looks like Margaret has put all of her eggs in one basket. I suppose they do make the best match. The highest gentry in the county. I know he's called on her quite a lot. It makes sense too with the young girl. He needs someone to help raise her and the family I am sure is putting pressure on him for a male heir. Lydia is a pleasant sort of girl I suppose. She's very genteel. One would have to be with a mother like Lady Margaret. I've barely heard her speak, always so proper. You're quite close to them both, what do you think of the match Emmy?"

"If they both seem amiable I think they could be good for one another. Lord Hargrave can come across as very domineering and cold. He does have a softer side though and Lydia's gentle nature could open his heart up I am sure."

"What an excellent observation of my brother's nature Miss. Somers. I've never heard someone articulate it so perfectly." Emmeline's cheeks turn ruby red.

"Sir Charles forgive me please. I did not see you standing there."

"I do not believe I was able to make your acquaintance. It is a delight to meet the guest of honor so early in the evening." Mr. O'Malley states.

"Pardon my manners, Sir. Charles this is Mr. and Mrs. O'Malley, some of my family's oldest friends. They live on the opposite side of town, closer to Hertfordshire."

"It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance." Charles takes Mrs. O'Malley's hand and kisses it, "Any friend of the famous Miss. Emmeline's is a friend of mine."