Chapter 16

"Now Papa I need you to be on your best behavior this week. Lord Hargrave's daughter is to be staying with us and I shan't have you making a bad impression." Emmeline told her father as she changed the bed linens on his bed.

She had been bustling about their small quarters for a few days, ensuring that no one that entered them would question the earl about why he allows his daughter to stay in such a place. She hadn't realized how dirty the place had become over the past few months. She scarcely had time to think about the cleanliness of the apartment with her appointments every week and the preparation of her elixirs, balms and such in the pharmacy below.

The pharmacy on the first floor of the home was one of excellent caliber. Emmeline made sure everything was organized efficient. Next to the garden, it was her favorite place. When Emmeline was young her father used to have the pharmacy open to the public. He would prepare elixirs for those that came in that were well enough to not need a house-call. When Emmeline's mother died it became too hard for Gideon to manage both, especially when Emmeline went off to school for her training. By the time she returned, Gideon was much too old to be making house-calls by himself. Emmeline tried to keep up the practice when she fully took over. Whenever she was at home with no appointments for a longer period of time, she would unlock the door and worked on her remedies in the front part of the pharmacy. Occasionally someone would stop in looking for help with a joint or a headache, but it remained mostly quiet.

"The girl is but 6 years old. She cannot have a true opinion of anything and from what you have told me she is quite enamored by you. I believe she would be happy just to spend a few days seeing what you do."

"She is still the highest ranking person we have ever hosted for this long of a period. We must treat her with respect."

"She will be treated as I treated you as a child. Children shouldn't understand their level in society until it is an absolute necessity."

"Papa while I understand your indifference to status but it is a great honor that the Earl is allowing Matilda to stay with us. Please assure me you won't deliberately do anything to her to make her upset."

"Oh alright, I will try to be on my best behavior, if only to keep you in good light with the Earl. But I cannot guarantee I won't try some of the tricks I did with you. It has been far too long since we've had a child in this place."

"Oh thank you Papa, I cannot wait for you to meet Matilda. She is such a lovely girl and she has grown so much since coming to the country. She is so full of life and curiosity. It's hard to imagine she spent most of her childhood in London."

"It is not often we get visitors. I am eager to meet her and the Earl. You did extend to him my request to meet with him upon his arrival. I may be bedridden but I am capable of meeting a man of such caliber."

"I know you are Papa, and I know Lord Daniel would not discredit you by ignoring your invitation."

"You know him quite well, more so than anyone else in the village I presume."

"He is a busy man Papa, one who is trying to refresh his estate and raise a child, especially without a governess. You remember what it was like after Mama died. You always had a ledger in your hand for the first few months. There were times I would find you asleep at your desk, pen still in hand. I am just trying to be of service to the man. Didn't Mama say that most of healing requires no medicine at all but rather a kind heart and working hands?"

"You are right my child. You clearly see a family in need of healing, even if they don't see it themselves. I shall get to the heart of the matter when I speak to the Earl tomorrow. Maybe I can gain some insight to help you more."

"Thank you Papa. Now come, your bed is finally ready." Emmeline says, pulling down the quilt a bit. "I do believe we have time to read a bit before bed. I don't want you staying up too late and overtax yourself. Matilda can be quite the handful and I am sure she will be eager to spend time with you." She says as she guides her father into bed.

"Well any friend of yours is a friend of mine. How about we read some poetry tonight? I could use some of Wilmot's healing colors."

"Of course," Emmeline says, retrieving the book from the nearby shelf, "shall I read you Mama's poem?"

"Not yet, read another first. I wish to fall asleep listening to the words of that one." Emmeline read a few of her favorites as she watched her father's eyes begin to close. She turned to the most worn page in the collection and began to read again, her voice slow and easy as if recalling a memory from a distant past.

"All my past life is mine no more,
The flying hours are gone,
Like transitory dreams giv'n o'er,
Whose images are kept in store
By memory alone.

The time that is to come is not;
How can it then be mine?
The present moment's all my lot;
And that, as fast as it is got,
Phyllis, is only thine.

Then talk not of inconstancy,
False hearts, and broken vows;
If I, by miracle, can be
This live-long minute true to thee,
'Tis all that Heav'n allows." Emmeline tucked Gideon's quilt closer to him, hearing the steady breath of a man at rest. Before snuffing the candle she gazed at her father, painting a mental picture, knowing soon it would be all she had.

She snuffed out the light just as she felt a tear coming to her eye. Before she went to bed she went down to the pharmacy and worked on her favorite poetry, that of her medicines, making balms and elixirs to heal others so that she herself could try to heal.

~
Hi Guys! Sorry about the super late update! I'm planning on having another chapter or two done by the end of this week.

The poem is "Love and Life" by John Wilmot. I loved the way it seemed to characterize Eleanor and give some more background on Emmeline's family. Let me know what you think!

Thanks for reading :)