Chapter 37

Emmeline wakes feeling extremely uncomfortable. She looks at her surroundings and realizes she had fallen asleep in the chair by her father's bedside. 

As she thought about the night before she remembers going to her father's side and reading him his favorite poems. It was silly, she knew. She looks over to the now empty bed. Reverend Ellis must've moved him while she slept.

He had passed before she was able to make it. Guilt weighed heavy on her heart. Her father was gone and she was not able to say her goodbyes. 

She smooths her skirt. She's almost certain she is not alone in her home and protocols must be followed. 

She looks into the mirror on her father's dresser. She is still wearing the dress from the night before. She lets the midnight blue fabric slide through her fingers. Guilt overcomes her. She shouldn't have gone out dancing. She knew her father was sick and that his time was coming. A good healer would've stayed with him. But she was caught up in a fantasy world last night. A world that could not be. A world that caused her to forget her responsibilities. A world she knew she didn't belong in but she had allowed herself to hope. And now she had to pay the price.

"We must be going on now." She says. She gives herself a firm nod before going to see to the others.

~

"Miss. Somers, how are you? I am deeply sorry for your loss." Daniel asks, rising instantly from his chair.

She curtsies.

"I am fine my lord. Thank you for your assistance last night. I am sorry that your night was interrupted on my account." Her voice is restrained and calculated.

He walks over to her and takes her hands, propriety be damned.

"You know it was no trouble at all." He squeezes her hands, "Your father was a good friend and man. You must think nothing of it. Now tell me honestly how you are doing." He looks at her in earnest. For a moment he sees her cold shell dissolve. 

But it returns. She quickly removes her hands and looks to the sleeping Mrs. Ellis.

"I am fine my lord. My father's soul was yearning to return to my mother's and it has finally succeeded. Now if you will just give me a moment I will prepare a breakfast for us. I am sure Mrs. Ellis will rise soon and the reverend is sure to return."

Emmeline goes to the kitchen and starts the kettle for tea. She moves quickly, almost manically. Daniel knew this feeling all too well. Stopping might allow her walls to break down and break. Action allowed for feelings to be repressed. How he wished he could comfort her, to allow her a place to rest her head. Daniel begins to walk towards her.

A gentle hand holds him back.

"She has experienced a great lost sir. She will return to you when she is ready." Mrs. Ellis gives his arm a gentle squeeze. "Now why don't you be a dear and write the death note for the papers. Mr. O'Malley has already contacted Dr. Keller to handle the estate. I don't know how many people knew the man, but the sentiment is nice. The local papers would appreciate it for sure." 

"You are quite right." He goes to the desk and begins to write the missive.

Louisa goes into Emmeline's room to search for an appropriate outfit. The girl will want to change into proper mourning attire. She also wanted to give her the space she needed. 

She goes into the wardrobe and finds a black mourning gown. Emmeline would not need to wear it everyday, as she still would work during the mourning period, but a black dress and headpiece would be necessary for more formal events over the next few months.

She lays the dress on Emmeline's bed before returning to the kitchen.

~

"Thank you so much for coming and assisting Mrs. Ellis. I sincerely appreciate your kindness. Breakfast will be ready in a few minutes. I am assuming you and Lord Hargrave have a lot to do back at the estate, but I believe a few scones and ham should be sufficient to show my appreciation before you leave."

"Come here my dear." Louisa says firmly. Emmeline stops what she is doing and looks at her. She is confused. 

"Come here." Emmeline obeys and walks over to Louisa. Louisa hugs her tightly. Emmeline resists at first but soon returns the embrace. Tears begin to flow from her eyes and she sobs. Louisa just holds her.

Daniel enters the kitchen and the sight nearly kills him. Louisa mouths to him to return home. 

He nods, even as every instinct in him tells him to stay, wishing he could be the one to help her, to tell her everything would be okay.

~

Emmeline clings to Louisa for a long time. Her sobs eventually lessen and she looks up at Louisa.

"My father is dead."

"He is my dear, now let us get you washed up. There are many things that need to be done and they will require you to be stronger than you ever thought possible. But I have found that a nice wash up is just the thing to help get started."

She guides Emmeline to her room and gently sits her at her dressing table. She gets a cloth and pitcher of warm water. She gently washes her face.

"Now let's get out of that magical dress of yours. The magic will never go away, but I am sure we can find you something more comfortable."

"What magic? This dress is a reminder of the night I lost my best friend."

"Oh my dear there was more to last night than that. One day you will see it. But it is time you changed. There is work to be done."

Louisa helps her out of the dress and into her mourning clothes. She sits Emmeline back at the dressing table and braids her hair, as if she were a child again. 

Emmeline takes a moment to enjoy this sense of peace, for she knows the next few months will not be easy.

~

   Hello lovelies! 

Here is the latest update!

I am officially done with my degree and my real job doesn't start until August (pandemic pending). This means I should be updating more regularly now that I don't have assignments to work on!

The next chapter should be up within the next few days.

Thank you again for all the love! I read all of your comments and they make my heart so happy.

Love,

Mary