Chapter 41

Christmas at Mooreland Park was always stunning. This year was no exception. The staff had outdone themselves. No shelf was without a sprig of holly or a touch of spruce. Daniel remembered spending many a holiday there and he was excited to share it with his daughter.

Matilda was extremely excited for Christmas. She had her father and her favorite uncle with her. Although she did desperately wish for Miss Emmeline to return soon.

The group feasted and made merry all through Twelfth Night . Although it was a small party, one might've thought it was an occasion designated for the King himself.

~

Christmas was a quiet affair at the Keller's household. The couple was normally found giving alms for the poor. They worked tirelessly through the season preparing baskets to distribute throughout London. Emmeline was grateful for the distraction and eagerly took on the task of organizing the goods donated by locals. She knew she was welcome to stay with the Kellers as long as she needed but there was a life she knew she was avoiding by staying. Emmeline was not used to a complacent life. She was happy for the reprieve but part of her longed for a sense of normalcy again.

~

Emmeline was taking her afternoon tea a few weeks after Twelfth Night  with Mrs. Keller when a missive arrived from Abbotshire. She recognized the distinctly stiff handwriting instantly as belonging to Mr. O'Malley. A letter from him could only mean one thing, it was time for her to return.

Her father had explained to her when he had first gotten sick that Mr. O'Malley was in charge of his affairs. He did not want Emmeline to worry about anything in the weeks following his departure and had tried as best as a father could to ease the burden. Mr. O'Malley graciously offered to handle communication with the state and handle the financials until the official mourning period had ended. When Emmeline returned he would aid her in the transition.

Emmeline was not a fool and knew her father had been far more generous than most would have been. Her father had given her a log to keep track of the expenses and she gave the log to Mr. O'Malley who would sort out the transactions. She wished she could've been more knowledgeable about the subject but it was already highly improper for her to be informed of the healing arts. Not that she cared what others thought, her father simply found that it was not a woman's place to worry about such things. 

She read through the letter quickly, Mr. O'Malley was never one to mince words. He offered to travel to London to discuss the financials with her, but Emmeline knew this would be an inconvenience for him after he had already done so much for her family. 

"I must return home" she said firmly, startling Mrs. Keller.

"Whatever for my dear? Is something wrong? Are you unhappy here?"

Emmeline rose with a determination she had lacked the past few months.

"It is time for my life to start again. I cannot keep living in the sadness of my father's passing. I have a duty to fulfill as his successor. The man in charge of his financials has things he wishes to discuss with me, and I cannot put this conversation off any longer."

"You are a young lady in mourning. No one expects you to handle such things."

"Who will take care of it then?" Emmeline asked with a start. "It is my father's practice and my legacy."

"I am sure Dr. Keller would be happy to take care of that for you. In fact I know he would insist on it."

"But it is my family. You both have been so kind to me these many months, welcoming me into your home, but my life is not here. I will never be a part of London's society, nor do I ever wish to be. If I sit here in complacency all that my family has worked for will go to waste."

Emmeline steadied her breath before continuing.

"You and I also both know that even though was a thoughtful creature, my father was not a business savvy one. I do not know the extent of our debt but I know it is quite great and it is my duty to save what I can of my family's work. My parents were not fortunate enough to bear a son but they were smart enough to educate their daughter and if the family practice is to close I wish to do as much as I can to try to save it. Sitting in a comfortable parlor miles from home, allowing myself to become complacent will never do. I will write to Mr. O'Malley at once. Do you believe one of your footmen could escort me home within the week?"

"Please wait for Dr. Keller. I am sure he would be happy to escort you back and help you get settled."

Emmeline went to sit beside Mrs. Keller. She gripped her hands.

"I cannot thank you and your husband for your kindness but I truly do not believe I can stay any longer. I assure you I will be fine on my own. Dr. Keller need not stop his life for the whims of a young lady. I have been doing so much on my own without the help of a man and I intend on continuing to do so. I will be fine with a footman." Fanny saw the determination in Emmeline's eyes and nodded. 

"Simon is our most trusted employee and Robert's valet. He will see that you are well protected."

"I must begin packing then." 

~

Hey everyone! 

I know it's been a minute (or 5 months) but I am back to writing. 

I have seen all of y'all's comments and I appreciate y'all being so patient with me. Daniel and Emmeline hold a special place in my heart and I didn't want to post a chapter that I wasn't 100% behind and I think I finally found my groove again with Emmeline and I have the next few chapters kind of set up.

Work has hit a new groove as well as I am now back in the classroom all week instead of online so the goal is to spend less time at home working on work and (hopefully) writing more.

If you're in the US like me happy inauguration day. I feel like I was able to take a deep breath for the first time in 4 years.

New update coming next week at the earliest. 

If you want something to read and haven't read her work yet, littleLo has so many great stories on here and is the reason why I started writing this one.

-Mary