Chapter 10

Matilda and Emmeline entered through the front of the house just as the Earl was receiving Lady Margaret and Lydia.

Lady Margaret and Lydia were in their finest gown. The first step in the dance of courtship. Emmeline felt quite silly in her calico dress that was now stained with mud. Emmeline couldn't even make eye contact with anyone.

"My goodness whatever happened to the child?" Lady Margaret asks incredulously, "Emmeline what did you do? She is the daughter of an Earl! I know you were raised by a man but this girl isn't like you!" Emmeline continues to study the pattern on her dress, holding on tightly to Matilda.

"Thank you for your concern Lady Margaret. I shall have James escort you and your daughter to the drawing room for tea. I will be in with you shortly after I deal with the current matter at hand." Daniel says firmly. James quickly appears and escorts Lady Margaret and Lydia away.

"Matilda what happened?" Daniel asks in a much softer tone, kneeling down in front of his daughter.

"We were catching fairies Papa, and I fell into the creek. Miss Emmy told me not to but I saw one Papa, and I wanted to catch it to show you. I am okay though. Are you mad Papa? Please don't make Miss Emmy go away. I was the one that went in the water. She was just trying to rescue me." Matilda cries, not moving from Emmeline's side.

Daniel puts a gentle hand on Matilda's shoulder.

"I am sure it was an accident my dear. Next time you will have to be more careful and listen to Miss Emmeline. No fairy is worth you falling into a stream for, at least not when it is this cold out. Now go upstairs and get changed. I believe Lady Margaret would like to meet you. Miss Somers if you would please join us as well."

"Oh thank you Papa for not being mad." Matilda says before running up the stairs. Emmeline follows to go help fix the mess she made.

~

"I don't want you to leave me Miss Emmy." Matilda says as Emmeline braids her hair.

"I won't let that happen sweetie. Come, I know Lady Margaret is eager to meet you. Your Papa will be happy to see you." Emmeline gives Matilda a hug. "Why don't you go on down? I'm going to tidy up here. I will be down in a bit." Matilda rises from her chair and Emmeline begins to tidy the room. She neatly folds Matilda's now soiled garments and places them on a chair. She fixed the young girl's bed so that it was ready for the nap that Emmeline was certain Matilda would be required to take after dining with Lady Margaret and Lydia.

Once she was satisfied with her cleaning job, Emmeline looked at herself in the mirror. Several stray hairs had fallen from the braid she made earlier and her dress now contained a good deal of mud. "No use trying to fix myself up now." Emmeline mumbled aloud. With a sigh she straightened her skirt and went down to face the firing squad.

Emmeline slipped quietly through the parlor door, careful to not draw attention to herself as Lady Margaret raved on about all of Lydia's accomplishments. Lydia, seated beside her mother, was clearly embarrassed, her eyes never meeting anyone's gaze. Emmeline looked to where Matilda was seated and took a seat next to her.

"Whenever we are in town the first thing Lydia and I do is get tickets to go to the opera. Just last season we were able to see The Marriage of Figaro. It was quite a fantastic rendition of the piece but I will say the tenor was weaker than what I expected, especially given the fact that it was at the Royal Opera House. You would think they would be able to afford better performers than that. "

"I am quite sorry madam. Lydia did you enjoy the piece at least."

"I did indeed. I have tried to play some of it on the pianoforte but it seems my skill is not quite to the level of the masters."

"I am sure you are quite good. I would love to hear you play sometime. We have a pianoforte here and I fear I was never the prodigy my mother wanted me to be. Do you have any musical talents Miss Somers?"

"No sir, not particularly. My parents had no musical gifts nor could they spare the money for a tutor." Emmeline says, suddenly feeling quite aware of her station.

"My Lydia was taught by some of the finest musicians in the country. Her father and I love music. It is quite the valuable skill for a young, accomplished woman."

"I am sure Lydia is quite accomplished. Your excellent parenting has made it quite obvious."

"Why thank you Lord Daniel. Parenting can't all be nurturing and time spent frolicking in gardens. A child must be brought up to be able to survive in society."

"Of course." Daniel says.

"Sir I am afraid I must take my leave if that is all right." Emmeline says, rising from the sette.

"Of course Miss Somers. Do you have time to say 'hello' to Mrs. Ellis? She has not made many requests but she insisted you stop by the kitchen before you leave." Daniel says, rising out of respect.

"I would be happy to. I will see you next week." Emmeline says, curtsying quickly, "It was so nice to get to see you Lady Margaret. I will be at your estate before luncheon tomorrow."

"Yes thank you Emmeline." Emmeline curtsies quickly before leaving.

~

"Lord Daniel said you wished to see me." Emmeline says as she enters the kitchen.

"Oh Emmeline how good it is to see you. Yes, I wished to extend to you an invitation to luncheon after church on Sunday. My husband is the priest at the local church and I always prepare a big meal for the parishioners afterwards."

"I would be delighted. What time should I be at the chapel?"

"10am, and you shall sit with me and my boy. I cannot wait for you to meet my Christopher. He is a hand here in the stable until we can afford to send him to seminary. He wishes to follow in his father's footsteps."

"How noble, thank you for your kindness Mrs. Ellis. I am afraid I must be on my way though. I wish to return to my papa before he has fallen asleep."

"Right, Lord Daniel told me that he was sick. Here, take these," Louisa says, handing Emmeline a few loaves of bread, "I know how hard it must be right now. And it's Aunt Louisa, not this 'Mrs. Ellis' nonsense. You are kin."

"Thank you Aunt Louisa. I look forward to Sunday." Emmeline says before giving the elderly woman a hug goodbye.