Chapter 25

"Uncle Charlie!" Matilda exclaims as she bounces out of the carriage. She runs into the young man's arms as he lifts her into a giant hug.

"How is my little Tilly doing?" Charles asks, taking her hand as they walk into the house. Daniel walks a few paces behind the pair, knowing it will not be an easy feat getting his little one to bed that night. Not that he minded, he needed a distraction from his thoughts.

"I'm great. I got to meet a fairy prince and make cookies and make potions and heal people and go horseback riding and hear stories about the fairies" Matilda rambles,
"And Miss. Emmy even made me grown up girl perfume. I am suppose to ask Papa if I am allowed to wear it, but she let me keep it in case he said yes."

"Well it sounds like you've had such a marvelous time, I am not sure if you even need the presents I got you. Since your Miss. Emmy spoiled you so." Charles laughs.

Matilda looks back to her father. "May I open my presents Papa? I promise I'll be grateful. I even have gifts to give you."

"After supper, my dear. Uncle Charlie and I are starving, and you forgot to share your cookies with me." Daniel waggles his eyebrows at his daughter as Charles sends Daniel a grateful look.

"When is supper?" Matilda asks, slightly less joyfully than before.

"As soon as you have finished washing up. Mrs. Ellis should be almost done." Daniel nods to Matilda's maid and she escorts her to her room.

When she is finally out of earshot Charles looks at Daniel. "Well she clearly didn't get her father's reserved personality." Charles laughs, clapping Daniel on the shoulder.

"She has had quite the day, quite the week, I suppose. Brother, would you care for a whisky before dinner? I love my daughter but I believe I may need a glass before she returns."

"You don't have to ask me twice." The pair walks into the study to pour a glass before dinner.

~

The trio had settled into the parlor nicely. Matilda has finished her dinner quickly, eager to receive her gifts. Daniel had to give her some credit, his daughter was trying to be patient. Her maid had delivered the gifts she had brought from the Somers' house, and he could tell that the anticipation was killing her.

"Papa, can I have my presents now?" She asks, giving him and Charles a pleading look.

"I suppose." Daniel attempts to say in a serious tone, but a smile paints across his lips. Matilda turns her attention to Charles.

"Can I see what you got me?" She says quickly. Daniel shoots her a look, "please Uncle Charlie."

"I am not sure if I have any gifts for you." Charles says mischievously as he reaches behind his chair. He pulls out a large bag. "Let's make this fair. For every gift you get, you have to give one away, or show us something that you did with your friend."

"That sounds fair." Matilda says diplomatically, earning a chuckle from the men. "Can we trade now?" Charles gives Matilda a a small wrapped package. She quickly removes the paper to reveal a doll. She rises and hugs her uncle. "Thank you Uncle Charlie!"

"Now hold up your end of the bargain. You need to give a gift to your papa or I." Matilda nods eagerly and gives her uncle a stick with yarn attached.

"It's a fishing poll. Since you're a sea captain. Now you can fish for your dinner." Charles laughs.

"Where did you learn to make this?"