Chapter 29

Charles was forced to return to his post in Portsmouth a few days later. He promised to return in time to organize the ball he had promised Matilda. Being a gentleman and not a true sailor meant that Charles was able to secure leave for several months, meaning the next time he visited, his stay would last through Twelfth Night. 

~

Emmeline found herself quite busy in the shop. The changing of the summer season to autumn meant that more people were finding themselves with aches and pains. Abbotshire was a farming town and the harvest often took a toll on the laborers that worked the fields.

She loved this time of year. The colors of the town shifted from happy pinks and greens to more subdued crimsons and golds. The air became thick with the smell of hickory as hearths that had stayed unused were lit again. 

She swept the floors, taking a moment to enjoy the quiet after a rather busy morning. It was the first job she was allowed to have in the shop. If she wasn't doing housecalls with her mother, she was in the shop with her father. She would help him restock the shelves, occasionally being allowed to reorganize or decorate the place with wildflowers.

When her mother passed, Gideon began entrusting  Emmeline with the shop. This was the first step before doing housecalls of her own.  Gideon had to replace his wife with the housecalls. "But I could never master your mother's charm and ease with the patients." Emmeline remembers her father saying. Eventually, as Gideon's health declined, Emmeline took on the housecalls while Gideon tended to the shop.

"And now, this is all mine." Emmeline laughs, looking down at the papers in front of her. The bell above the door rings suddenly, removing Emmeline from her slight trance. She rises, wiping her hands on her apron.

"Mrs. O'Malley, to what do I owe the pleasure?" Emmeline chirps, smiling at her friend's mother.

"I just wanted to restock on my salve, and to see how you were doing. Without my Susanna around I've missed talking to young people. Mr. O'Malley is polite and all, but it's just not the same as talking to a female companion."

"I am doing fine Mrs. O'Malley,"Emmeline laughs, "Between the shop and my weekly housecalls, I've scarcely had time for any exciting news. I am afraid I am a rather boring lot these days." 

"That is not true my dear. You get to see nearly everyone in the county. You know their secrets. The only gossip I hear is from our girl Becky when I catch her gossiping with the farmhand. Not very interesting stuff though. She's a bit simple I'm afraid, but I guess I'm a bit simple too. I'm always interested in interesting people though. I am sure my Susanna is meeting a lot of interesting people in London. She hasn't written me much though. She's become quite the social butterfly. I know my sister appreciates having her as a companion. I don't know if I'll ever see my dear girl again at this rate. At least there's hope she'll make an advantageous marriage." Mrs. O'Malley prattles on as Emmeline finds her salve.

"I am sure she will make you quite proud." Emmeline says, handing her the jar. "She has been a wonderful friend to me and I believe any man that she pays any mind to will be head over heels for her instantly."

"Oh I hope you are right." Mrs. O'Malley pays for the salve, "I will tell Mr. O'Malley I spoke with you. When he heard I was going today he insisted, absolutely insisted, I checked to make sure you were alright. Oh, and to remind you that your father is in our prayers every night. Mr. O'Malley plans on stopping by in a few days to check on him. Well I must be going now. It was lovely speaking with you Emmeline." Mrs. O'Malley leaves the shop and Emmeline takes a deep breath. She suddenly felt exhausted.

~

Emmeline closed up the shop and returned to her home above. She made a quick meal for her father and herself.

"How are you fairing tonight, Papa?" Emmeline asks, setting the tray of food on his bed.

"I am well, my dear. It sounds like you had an eventful day. I heard Mrs. O'Malley come in to chat for a spell."

"I am pretty sure the butcher three doors down heard that she had stopped by. She was telling me all about Susanna in town. She also insisted I tell you that you are in her's and Mr. O'Malley's prayers." 

"Russell was always a good man. I don't know how he handles his wife. Although, considering they only have one child I am not sure he handles her at all." Gideon laughs.

"Papa, do not be cruel. Did you take the medicines I had out for you today?" Emmeline asks, noticing the full plate of food that she had put out for him before she left in the morning. 

"I did, I still do not care for the Willow's bark. It does not matter how it is prepared. I still do not care for it." Gideon says laughing.

"Did you lose taste for the ham and bread I set out for you too?" Emmeline asks in a serious tone. "Papa, you know I cannot be here to make sure you eat."

"I was going to eat my dear," Gideon says, taking her hands in his, "I told you the Willow's bark disagrees with my stomach and I was afraid if I ate it I would retch all over the place and you would have to come take care of me." 

"I will skip the Willow's bark tomorrow, but you must try to eat something now." She says with a a laugh. She waits for him to start eating before she retrieves the book that she was reading to him. She read to him, taking bites of her own dinner between the pages, until he fell asleep.

Emmeline really looked at her father for the first time, examining his form. He had grown quite thin, and this was not the first day he had not eaten all day. Even with her there, he scarcely ate anything. She had heard that when one's soul is preparing to leave the mortal world, the body loses appetite for food. She knew her father's time was coming soon and so she slept by his bedside that night, and wept.

Hello lovelies, here is an update for y'all. I hope you enjoy it. I am starting on the next chapter soon. Changes are coming to Abbotshire whether people are ready or not.

I also hope y'all are staying healthy.

Thank you again for reading this story. I love reading everyone's comments (yes I read them all, I'm just really shitty at replying to them).

Any feedback is welcome :)