Chapter 17

(Pictured above: Emmeline's kitchen, Matilda's trunk, and Emmeline's home)

~

Daniel spent the few days before he left for town with his daughter. Thankfully his valet knew him well enough to pack for him so Daniel's time could be solely dedicated to Matilda. Not that she needed him there. The entire time they spent together she was talking about "Miss. Emmy" and all the wonderful things they would do together. Daniel too was excited to go on his adventure. Although he was in town on business he was also attending a reunion of friends from Cambridge.

It was always a fine time when he and his classmates got together. All successful men in their own right they had gone on to do great things in their various fields. He had not been able to join on their annual shindig since Matilda's birth. Cecelia was much too fragile for Daniel to ever dare leave alone and after her passing when Matilda was but barely above a year old. Daniel was never separated from the child for more than a night or two.

The protectiveness he felt towards Matilda was almost too strong at times. Daniel was hesitant to let anyone into their tiny little world, afraid of what would happen if they left as Matilda's mother unfortunately had.

This was not the same with Miss Somers. She entered their world and brought so much sunlight that the shield Daniel had worked so hard to create was broken instantly. Yet somehow he knew that Miss Somers wasn't going to leave. Maybe it was because she too had lost her mother, allowing for a bond between her and Matilda to naturally form. That was the logical answer, but Daniel knew better. Miss. Somers just seemed to fit right into their world, and he knew she wouldn't leave it. It was nice to finally have a friend, someone he could trust to look after Matilda and provide some much needed company for him. He was not a hermit by any means but the only company he had over the past few years came from friends and family who would visit the home and the occasional luncheon while in town. He did not expect to make such a peculiar acquaintance in Abbotshire, and he was positive his friends would box his ears when they heard of the impropriety of the friendship he had formed with Miss Somers. It was something he was simply going to have to endure. Miss Somers was one of the most interesting minds he had ever met. She was kind as well, allowing his daughter to spend a week at her home. Daniel had already determined this was a key aspect of the young woman's personality. It was refreshing to know someone with such a balance of knowledge and kindness.

Daniel helped the maids pack Matilda's bags, being sure that she had some toys and books to occupy herself if Miss Somers needed to get work done. He was assured by the young woman that Matilda would always have someone in the same room as her since Miss Somers' father was bedridden at home. Daniel was eager to meet the man who raised such a peculiar woman. He would of course keep the same social graces and formally meet the man before his departure.

~

The day of their departure Matilda woke before Daniel did and bounded into his room eagerly.

"Matty are you sure you are ready to go see Miss Somers?" Daniel asked as he wrapped his daughter in a warm hug.

"I am very ready," she replied, too young to comprehend the sarcasm in Daniel's voice, "You are not though Papa, and we cannot be late. Miss Emmy said I would be her assistant for the week and she tells me she wakes up with the sun."

"Does she now? So you must as well?" Matilda nods eagerly. "Well I told Miss Somers we would arrive after breakfast so you have some time my dear. Shall we go see if Mrs. Ellis is ready for you to go eat?" Daniel asks, rising from the bed.