Chapter 15: Green with Envy

Several months passed since everybody arrived back from their two-week vacation that was cut shortly after the misfortune event that happen on the island. By then, summer turned into autumn which only meant that a second semester of school had started. On the night of September 21, the sun shall before turning into darkness. Yui gazed at the horizon getting a clear view of the full red moon that appeared after moonrise.

She almost forgot how beautiful the sky looked after dark from the estate. It was relaxing and refreshing to sit under the oak tree in back of the Sakamaki's home on top of the grassy knoll. Once in a while she'd wander back there aloneand mused about everything that happened in the past year.

Now she was getting married in another month. The engagement ring on her finger never shined so brightly. When Yui first answered Ayato's proposal, she assumed that it was the spur of the moment; reasons being, he didn't have a ring for her when he proposed, and he wasn't very fond of materialistic things like diamonds and jewelry.

Furthermore, what changed his heart were the little changes in him that she saw from time-to-time since they got back together. He did little things like rub her feet, help her wash her hair, hold her bags while they went shopping together and take her out on numerous occasions that he swore wasn't a date. On the evening of the summer festival he surprised her by taking her to a private Jeweler to pick out her engagement ring.

Yui was convinced that maybe Ayato drunk one too many of Reiji's concoction, but he immediately got offended by Yui's thoughts and almost walked out on her. From that day on, she never questioned his kindness. Everything he did for her was out of love in which she was grateful for it.

While resting her head back under the oak tree, Yui swiftly turned around when she heard a crackling noise from behind her. She spotted her friend Reina who was walking up the knoll in her direction. The brown-headed girl looked troublesome, she was wearing a pair of large glasses that she rarely wore and her hair was braided up in two French braids. The blonde wondered what was bothering her friend so much that she came all the way out here to see her.

Blonde sat up straight from the tree and waved to her friend with a polite smile. "Hey, what brings you out here?"

"Nothing..." Reina lied. "I was taking a walk, and noticed that you were back here." Reina smile didn't reach her face after she said that. Truth be told, there were some things that made her unsettled. The fact that Shu was the cause of it made her fill even worst.

Yui almost cocked an eyebrow at her best friend sitting beside her. Taking a walk outside in the middle of the night alone? That doesn't sound like something she'd do alone...

"Do you ever fell like you're being deceived by others," Reina curiously asked the blonde out of the blue.

Yui blinked.

"R-Reina, where did this come from all of a sudden?"

She shrugged with despair, "curiosity, I guess... Just forget that I even asked."

The blond rested her right hand on top of Reina's. "If you have something to say then say it. I'm always here for you regardless of what the situation is."

At this, Reina rolled her eyes and sighed, "Fine... I think that Shu's keeping something very important from me and I tried asking him about it more than once, but he'd always shut me out. I'm his girlfriend. Shouldn't I have a right to know what's going on through my boyfriend's head?"

"Yes, you do," Yui agreed. "Although, it depends on the situation and if he's comfortable with telling you yet –"

"And I completely understand that!" Reina said loud and clear as she stood up from the ground, cutting her friend off. "He made promises to change his ways and open up to me, but I haven't seen that since before we went to that stupid island. Not only that, Yuma has his suspicions about Shu as well."