Right Where I Should Be

Mitch and I were on our way back from the AMAs when it started raining. The drops coming down, hard against  the window. We were driving into the storm, the angry lightning bolts making way through the clouds. The downpour was getting worse with each passing second. Cars began swerving and pulling over to let the storm let up a bit. I wasn't one of those people. I wanted to get us home and in the comfort of our own house.

"Scott. You can barely see the road! Pull over." Mitch said as he tightened his seatbelt. "Come on Mitchy, we have like a mile left." I replied with ease. He was so worried. We were almost home.

His phone began to ring, and he sighed as he answered. "Hey Kirst!" He said, "Nope. We got stuck in the disaster. I'm glad you and Jeremy made it though. How about the others?" Mitch asked as I turned my attention back onto the slip and slide... I mean the road. Hell, might as well call it a water slide with the amount of water it was currently holding.

I tried my best to maintain a good enough speed but nothing seemed to make this excursion any better.

"Scott. Look at the other cars! They're literally stopping. I think we should too." Mitch said.

"Fine. Fine. After this turn. We can't just stop right here before someone comes speeding at us." I say, "Don't say that." Mitch replied. "It'll be okay, Mitchy." I reassured him as I reached out for his hand. "Here. Don't let go of my hand." I said as he gladly accepted my empty hand. "Look. We're almost around the corner." I mention as I glance over at him. "Scott watch out!" He yelled as I do my best to swerve out from behind the tractor trailer that had stopped in front of us, abruptly.

I lost control of the car and we started to hydroplane. Mitch squeezed at my hand before all went black.

***

I woke up with an excruciating pain in my head. I tried open my eyes but they felt heavy. I went to move my hand to force them open but I couldn't move it. It was stuck. I began to panic. "Mitch!" I yelled out, well I attempted to yell. It ended up coming out as a mumbling. "Mitch!" I repeated. Why wasn't he answering me? "Scott? I felt a hand squeeze mine. He was there.

"Oh god. S-Scott!" Mitch cried out. "Oh my god! D-Don't move." I heard him sniffle. "I can't open my eyes. Wh-What happened?" I asked. I remembered the rain but nothing else. "W-We hydroplaned." Mitch simply stated. Something was wrong.

"You aren't telling me something." I managed to get out. It was getting difficult to breathe and I didn't know why. "C-Can you not feel it?" I heard Mitch ask, clearly shocked. "F-Feel what?" "Scott... T-There's a pole through y-your side..."

"I can't feel anything besides your hand... I-Im-- Oh my god! I-I gotta get out. We need help. Are you impaled? Are you hurt! Oh god, Mitchy. This i-is all my fa-ault." I sobbed. The pain in my head was becoming more brutal. "I'm f-fine! Just a few bumps and bruises. I-I'll survive... And so will you." Mitch reassured me.

I was going to die. He knew that. There was no way an ambulance was going to make it this far in the storm.

"I-I want to tell you something." I say as I let out a shaky breath. "Wh-What?" He nervously asked.

"Ever since I met you..." I swallowed the small amount of liquid that was helping keep my mouth moist, "I was in-" "Don't!" Mitch said, stopping me from my confession. "No! Y-You don't get to do that! You can't do that! Not after all these  years! Not right now!" Mitch choked out. "We are both going to make it out of here! Then you're going to t-tell me. Okay!?"

I didn't answer.

"Okay?" Mitch said more forcefully.

"Okay." I whispered.

A few moments went by and I started to get chills.

It was so cold. I tightened my grip on Mitch's hand, "Don't let go of my hand. Please." I whispered through chattering teeth. All I could hear was Mitch's muffled sobs, the pouring of rain, and my shallow breaths.

"Scott. Please. I don't know what I'd do without you here. You can't just leave me." Mitch admitted.

"Mitch... I love you." I finally admitted.

He cried out and I could feel his body racking from his violent sobs. My hand was losing its grip... It was slipping. "No! D-Don't!" Mitch cried out and grabbed my hand, clutching it to his chest...

"I love you, Scott. I really do. Please don't go... Please. I need you!" He said.

"I love you too." I said, repeatedly until I could barely speak...

"S-Scott?"

"Mitch... It's time to let go." I said before the pain dulled and I could no longer feel his hands wrapped around mine.. I could no longer feel his heartbeat...

I felt nothing..

This was it.

At least I told him the truth.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Oops.

This is terrible tbh. But heyyyy, a few more updates will be coming to this book!