The Importance Of A Cover

The thing with covers is that making a good one can be difficult, some people (myself included) can be lazy and some people don't see the importance of having a nice cover.

Let me define a 'nice cover'.

A nice cover- a clear picture with one or two CLEAR fonts that people are able to read. The writing must be placed in an area that does not cover the important part of the picture and must be in a complementary colour to the rest of the cover.

Your cover will make or break your book. Period. There is no beating around the bush- if your cover is crap, the chances of you succeeding are automatically lower than people with nice covers.

But Ella, some really famous Wattpad books have crappy covers?

These books were most likely posted years ago when Wattpad wasn't as popular and the competition between books was lower. Nowadays, everyone has a nice cover. Photoshop, specialist apps and sites like tumblr have meant that the standard of covers has become very high.

Book covers these days are simple, clean, clear and intriguing.

If you can't make a cover, there are plenty of people who can. On Wattpad and on Instagram there are tons of accounts that make amazing covers which will definitely help you out.

Real Life Example:

One of my books with a crappy cover: 56 reads

Two days later, I placed an amazing cover made by a talented cover maker.

Over night the book had 126 reads.

It's the hard, honest truth. People do judge a book by its cover.