How To Come Up With Original Ideas [Requested]

On Wattpad, there are definitely some overused story lines and these stories tend to be appetising to some new writers as they are relatively easy to write because they have been written before so it's only a matter of not plagiarising someone else's work.

However, everyone wants to think that their story is original but coming up with unique ideas may be hard.

I'm just going to stress one thing- no idea is completely original. People have been writing for hundreds of years, and I doubt that any story is COMPLETELY unique.

As someone who likes to think that their stories are pretty original (meaning I haven't seen books with story plots similar to mine) I have some tips on coming up with original ideas or just ideas in general.

1. Base books off of your dreams. If you can remember your dreams, you will know that they can sometimes be crazy and definitely sound like they came out of a book.
2. Base books off your own personal fantasies (that sounded way weirder than it did in my head).
3. Listen to your favourite playlist and try and make up a story that is related to the song/is inspired by the song. It will most likely end up with a load of crap ideas but you may just think of one amazing one.
Let me give you an example (this is actually happening irl and not a planned thing): The Song; Rehab- Amy Winehouse. The book idea; a pyromaniac and an alcoholic form an unlikely friendship while plotting to burn down the rehab centre they've been forced into. Maybe a little random idea but still an idea.
4. Watch three or four completely different movies and try and think of an idea that overlaps all of the themes (within reason).
Example: Three movies; Me Before You, Eden and The Hunger Games. Idea; Groups of girls are stolen [Eden] to play a sadistic game [The Hunger Games] and one of the competitors is in a wheelchair [Me Before You].
5. Wait for inspiration to hit. Sometimes ideas just come from nowhere.

An original idea is not certain to gain you readers but it definitely makes you stand out and shows your creativity.

This was a requested chapter- comment anything you would like chapters about :)