How To Write A Sequel [Requested]

Sequels. Hiding in the shadow of the first book- or at least that's what sometimes happens.

Writing a sequel to your book may mean you face some new challenges as it will require more planning, careful thought and above all creativity.

This chapter will break down how to successfully write a sequel (take this advice from someone who has in the past managed to write a sequel).

How to Introduce New Characters

You will have beloved characters from the first book who will probably be the focus of the sequel, however to make your sequel not seem like a cheap remake of the first book, you're going to need to introduce some new characters.

Characters introduced in a sequel have a disadvantage compared to the original characters as there is less time to develop them fully, but make sure that the reader understands the significance of this new character by having their opening scene in the book a memorable one.

How to Remind Readers Of Events From The Last Book

If you had minor events in the last book which actually mean something more in your sequel, reminding the reader of these may be difficult. Flashbacks, dialogue between characters who witnessed the previous events and straight up reminding the reader will all work in jogging their memory.

How to Make The Book Not Seem Boring Compared To The First One

Sequels are often more difficult to plan than one off books as they have to take into consideration the events of the first book. And this can limit a writer in what they can do.

So instead of treating the book like a sequel, treat the book like a one off story where the characters have a VERY detailed backstory. Create new villains, different struggles and change locations to give the book an exciting vibe.

Don't dwell too much on the previous book either otherwise you are likely to get bogged down in repeating the first book in your sequel.

How to Get People To Read A Sequel

What I suggest before even writing a sequel is asking your readers if they want one! If you get positive feedback and quite a few people have said they would read it, then go ahead. But if you get no feedback or people telling you that you shouldn't write a sequel, maybe don't do it unless you truly believe that you can make an amazing sequel to your book.

How to Create Links Between The Two Books

Other than the fact that your characters may be the same in the books, it may be difficult to create subtle links between the books.

Maybe have jokes that relate back to things that happened in the previous book, or bring back minor characters who didn't do much in the last book (maybe a waitress who spilt coffee on your lead character).

How to Create A Linking Book Cover

This tip implies that you have made the cover yourself. If you have already made an amazing cover for your first book and are unwilling to change it, try and find a picture that looks similar to the first one or runs along a similar theme.

Use the same font for both but you can change the colour (if necessary). Covers that appear to match will indicate to people that the books are linked together.

How to Come Up With A Series Name

This was one thing I struggled with massively when creating the sequel to my book. A series name can be so difficult to come up with as thinking of a few words that sum up both books (or multiple books) can be difficult.

Some people just chose to use the name of the first book and stick the word 'series' on the end or others try to find a common factor that appears in all their books.

This was a requested chapter- please comment any ideas that you would like to see me write chapters about!