Chapter 19

I couldn't do anything to stop her. She wanted to die, and that was that. Walking back to the car felt like a punch to the stomach with each step. I had no tears left so I couldn't cry. I missed her terribly already.

After the festival was finished I decided to go home. No new things to complete off our bucket list. No Colleen.

When packing up everything I got a phone call from the hospital. I took a deep breath before answering. "Hello, this is Joshua Evans speaking." A deep voice was on the other end of the phone call, "Hello Mr Evans, Colleen is desperately wanting to speak to you and was wondering if you could come to the hospital immediately." What sort of mind games is that girl playing? "Sure, I'll be there in five."

After a drive back to the hospital, I asked for her room number again. I had to calm myself before knocking. I walk in with no expression on my face but Colleen is just in her bed smiling for some reason. She motions with her hand for me to come closer. I roll my eyes but stand next to her bed. She then motions me to kneel down and I do. "How much do you love me?" She asks with a cheeky smile on her face and grabbing both my hands.

I didn't even know how to answer that question. "Colleen, what games are you playing? You're going to die and now you're asking me how much I love you." I say as I remove my hands from hers. She doesn't get discouraged by this though, "When you left I took a nap and I had a dream. A dream of us together, as a family. Over this past month, I've discovered so much about myself and I've done things that I never thought I'd get the chance to do. You've made me the happiest person ever, happier than I've ever been. I was only lying to myself when I said I was ready to let go. Joshua David Evans, if I promise to pay you back, will you pay for my operation?"

My face widens in shock. It takes time for it to sink in but when it does I shout, "Yes of course!" I hug her tightly and say, "Colleen, you have no idea how happy you've made me. You don't need to pay me back, you've already paid me. You showed me what love means and I know that no matter what happens I'll choose you."

Colleen grabs my cheeks and pulls me in for a kiss. "Joshua, I-I..." I have a feeling of what she's going to say but she seems nervous. "Colleen Mae Ballinger, I love you." She pulls me in for another kiss and I deepen it by sliding my arms around her waist. When we pull back, we both smile at each other.

"Should I go call the doctor?" I say with a smile.

Y'all thought I was going to let her die LOL I loved your comments. But seriously though have a little faith in me I ain't that mean. (ALSO: have you subscribed to www.andthentherewasfood.co.za? You should.) Oh and the next chapter is the last one WHOOPS. But I'll make an epilogue too so there's that ok bye.