Chapter 2

"Wow..." I muttered to myself. "It's a lot bigger just knowing I'm going in there..." I was staring up at Raida on my first day there.

"Hey, Aida!" I blinked and realized that Masaomi was right next to me, smirking at the fact that I was zoning out.

"O-Oh, hi, Masaomi." I stammered slightly in my surprise- dammit, face, don't blush or I swear...

"So, lookin' forward to meeting all your classmates?" I knew that tone.

"I'm not helping you hit on girls."

"Oh, come on!"

"Just 'cause I'm attracted to them-some of them- doesn't mean I hit on them all the time! Jeez, a little subtlety, dummy." I rolled my eyes at him. "You flirt way too much."

"Or not enough!"

"No, definitely too much."

"You're just jealous of my skills."

I snorted. "Sure, 'skills'."

"That was rude!"

"Oh, honey, you sound like I should care!"

This kept up until another voice joined the conversation. "Wait, Masaomi!"

We both turned, and there was Mikado running up to us, just as nervous as a few days ago.

"Hey, Mikado," I smiled. "Ready to start the first year of the three hardest years of your life?"

"I-I mean, I guess so..."

I giggled. "Just kidding. Come on, let's go, guys! I don't want to be late for freshman orientation!"

. . .

"Thanks for walking me home," Mikado smiled at Masaomi and I from the door of his apartment. "I still get lost so easily around here..."

"No problem, buddy!"

"Yeah, it's like a maze here." I ignored Masaomi and looked up at Mikado instead. "See you tomorrow, Mikado."

He waved and walked inside, closing the door. Masaomi turned to me, smirking slightly. "Shall I walk you home, my lady?"

"Call me that again and I'll smack you."

"Alright, okay!" He put up his hands in defense. "Yeesh, woman!"

I giggled and started walking, leaving him to catch up.

We finally got to the large apartment near the business district of Ikebukuro, and I walked up to the door. However, something distracted me, so I couldn't pay any attention to Masaomi talking behind me.

"Well, I must bid you adieu, fair lady, but I'll see... you... something wrong, Aida?"

"Not really..." I was staring at the door. "Sorry, I... I just found a bloodstain, that's all."

"...Oh..."

"Masaomi!"

He was lucky I had been walking by the door at the time. Otherwise, I never would've heard the quiet thump. As it was, I'd opened my front door and Masaomi had stumbled forward as the support of the door had been taken away. There was a considerable cut running down his arm, staining his hoodie.

"Hey, Aida..."

"Come on, get inside..." I swallowed, doing my best to ignore the blood dripping onto my floor. He walked over to my kitchen table and sat down, wincing. This was a very familiar routine by now.