Chapter 9

I'm baaack!! :D Sorry for the delay!

---

The next morning, I didn't want to get up. I didn't want to see anybody. I didn't really want to exist.

I'd tossed my best friend and crush out of my home.

Granted, he was being a dunce, but still.

Thank goodness it was a weekend. I wouldn't even have to go to school and see everyone. Still, though...

Maybe I should go see someone, at least.

Thirty minutes later, I was severely regretting that decision.

"Oh, hello, Aida-chan!"

Fuck. Fuck, no, not you.

"Izaya." I knew I was deadpanning as I turned to him, but I didn't feel like putting any actual emotion into my face; he knew I didn't like him. "What do you want?"

"No need to look so angry, it's intimidating!" he teased.

"You didn't catch me in a good mood." I muttered, shoving my hands in my pocket. As the conversation continued, I flipped my phone open and started dialing as quietly as I could.

"Ah, well, that is understandable, what with your falling out with Mr. Kida and all." Izaya's smirk was infuriating.

"What the- you were watching us?" I took a step back, disgusted.

The last digit went into the phone and it started dialing. I held my finger over the speaker so no sound would come out, but made sure the microphone was uncovered.

"You must be out of the loop! Oh, I guess you would be; you do hate gangs and all. But there's a bit of a war brewing in Ikebukuro, and it looks like you might be putting yourself right into it. Just thought I'd warn you."

"You didn't answer my question, you were watching us?!" I was getting annoyed now. "You creep, that's so not cool!"

He shrugged casually. "Part of the job, dear, it's nothing personal."

"Ugh," I groaned. "Do me a favor, take your job out of snooping around my personal life. My fight with Masaomi has nothing to do with you."

"Au contraire, Aida-chan. My work can definitely benefit from the leader of the Yellow Scarve's personal life and friends."

"Lovely. Look, if you're going to interrupt my time, could you at least give me something useful?"

"But why would I do that when it's so much more interesting to just watch it unfold? I will tell you this, though; perhaps Masaomi's trust in his little group might be... a little unfounded, as it were. Gangs are so unreliable."

And at that moment, a steadily growing scream came towards us.

And that scream was saying "IIII-ZAAAAA-YAAAA!"

Oh, thank god. Good thing that number was in my phone, otherwise I'd never be able to get rid of this asshat.

Shizuo was storming angrily down the street, sign post in hand, laser-focused on the info broker in front of me.

I turned to Izaya, saying "Well, have fun with this!" Before booking it out of there, Izaya's words bouncing unsettlingly around my head.

Honestly, at this point, I was considering going home and strangling myself with the long, multi-colored ribbons that hung from my doorway. It was about as useful as anything else I could do.

I needed to talk to Celty. She usually got into these things. Maybe she could help me.

She was the only one at home when I got to her and Shinra's apartment. When she opened the door, I didn't hesitate to just hug her as tightly as I could. She started in surprise, but eventually just hugged me as well.

So, um... what's this about, Aida?

I stepped away, covering my face for a moment. "A lot's happened... can I talk to you about it?"

Yeah, no problem.

We sat down and I retold what had happened over the last 32 hours, from Anri's story to Izaya's little interjection into my life.

"I just..." I'd started crying somewhere in the middle of my explanation, and Celty had her arm around my shoulders, hugging me. "I just thought that you'd probably be the best person to come to, because... you somehow end up getting into this sort of thing, and... I thought you might be able to help..."

Well, as much as I'd love to tell you I can help solve your fight with Masaomi, I don't think I can. But as for the Yellow Scarves? That's a little more complicated. Celty hesitated, before typing something else. I'm sorry I didn't tell you, by the way. I guess I've never really seen the kid before, so I didn't know that the guy who was talking to me when I saved Anri was him.

I waved off her apology while rubbing my eyes. "It's okay, d-don't worry about it. I'm just glad Anri's alright... thank you for saving her..." I paused. "Wait... do any of my other friends actually know you that I don't know about?"

Mikado's your friend, right?

"Him too? Huh. Wouldn't have pegged him for getting involved in the underworld of Ikebukuro, but alright then." I paused. "So basically, he and I are the only normal ones in this damn group. Him, me, a gang leader and a girl who can control other's minds with a sword. Why not?"

You have your hand in all sorts of underworld stuff, you're not exactly the most normal kid.

"I don't exactly have that by choice, you know. Anyway..." I paused. "Izaya said that... he said that the Yellow Scarves aren't as trustworthy as they used to be..."

Honestly? I wouldn't take anything Izaya says at face-value. He might've just been lying to you.

"I know, but still... there's a grain of truth in every lie, right? I know Masaomi's being a little jerk at the moment, but... I'm still worried..."

Well, whatever Izaya said, he's right about one thing; there seems to be a bit of a war brewing, and it's not going to be pretty when it gets underway.

"No... it's not..." I sighed softly, glancing over at her before looking away. "Sometimes I wish that I'd never met Masaomi... then I would've never gotten mixed up in everything... but... other times I'm glad I did, because I helped him out so much... I just... don't want people to fight anymore..." I buried my face in my knees. "I'm so tired of the fighting..."

It was at that moment that we heard the sound of the door opening, followed by my cousin cheerfully calling "Celty, I'm home!"

"Oh, damn..." I muttered. "Guess there goes the serious talk."

"Aida? What're you doing here?" Shinra asked as he set down his stuff.

"Masaomi's being a little bitch, one of my close friends is the true Saika, and Izaya's fucking with me." I answered in a monotone. "I'm not having a good week."

I dislike today. I really hate today a lot, actually.

---

Let me know what you guys thought down in the comments!