Chapter 4

"Are you an electrician? Because you light up the room!"

Masaomi and I were walking down the street, with me giggling helplessly at his extremely lame jokes and pickup lines.

He chuckled as I pulled myself together.

"Honestly, did you just memorize a book of bad jokes or something?" I asked, occasional laughs still slipping out as I tried to calm myself down.

"Nah, of course not! I'm just naturally brilliant." Masaomi grinned. "As well as wanting to impress you and those lovely boobs of yours."

"Oi, leave my girls out of this, they're sensitive to comments like that!" I crossed my arms over my chest teasingly. "My eyes are up here, buddy."

"Yes, they are, aren't they? Such lovely eyes too, beautiful crystals of light!"

"Yeesh, you were pushing for that one."

"Maybe so." He admitted, putting his hands behind his head as we walked along. "So, where do you live, anyway? We've been walking for a while."

"O-Oh, right, that..." I laughed nervously. "Um, well..." I pointed. "I live here."

Masaomi stopped and stared; the apartment that took up a third of a city block and was two stories tall? Yeah... bound to be a little odd.

"I know, I know..." I muttered, looking away. "It's giant. My parents both work in, like, gigantic industry financing and such, so..."

"Wow, Aida!" Masaomi looked at me in amazement. "Gorgeous, great boobs and loaded? I've hit jackpot!"

"Don't talk like that..." I responded uncomfortably, glancing over at him.

"Don't worry, babe, I fell in love with you for more than your cash. After all, I didn't even know until now~!"

"Yeah... I guess that's true..."

BEEP! BEEP! BEEP!

"Urgh..." I groaned, rolling over. "I was having such a nice dream, too..." That was a time before I had to worry about basically everything in my life.

Blearily, I pushed myself out of bed and changed into my Raida uniform, before wandering downstairs to the kitchen and once again eating breakfast by myself. I glanced down at the table and frowned slightly; as much as I'd cleaned it time and time again, when it was this early in the morning and still dark, it still reminded me of walking downstairs and seeing Masaomi sitting there, waiting for me to patch up whatever injury he had. Sighing, I pushed my breakfast away, not very hungry anymore. Hair fell into my face at the sudden movement, and I looked at it in irritation; my mid-length brown hair was usually dyed a weird color, but I hadn't had enough time to do anything with it.

I looked at the clock; still another hour until I had to be at school. I'd have to start walking soon, but that was okay. Maybe I could go early and then meet up with everyone! Yeah, that works.

I walked out the door with my bag and flipped open my phone, checking any messages I had. Shinra, Celty, Masaomi, Mikado... Wait, Mikado? That was kinda odd, usually he didn't text me.

Hey, so what was that weird face you had when you were looking at Masaomi?? :3

Oh my god. He was going to bring that up? Now? Face burning, I texted back.

No. Not gonna tell.

When I got to school, I saw Mikado and Masaomi standing outside talking. I shot Mikado a glare as I walked up, and he flinched a little.

"Hey, you two," I said. "How's everything?"

"Pretty good, now that you're here," Masaomi grinned. I rolled my eyes in response.

"Come on, lady's man, let's get inside." Once we got to our classrooms, as Masaomi walked inside, I grabbed Mikado's arm.

"Wh-What is it?"

"If you tell him what you saw, I swear-"

"O-Okay! Okay! I'm not gonna tell! I promise!" Mikado yelped, pulling his wrist out of my grip.

"Good, you'd better not," I huffed, feeling my face go pink. "I don't need him teasing me about some out of context thing."

He knows. He totally knows.

Ugh, this guy... Mikado was remarkably perceptive even though he was pretty naïve. But I wasn't exactly blind, and his face was extremely telling.

We both stared each other down for a moment before walking into class, on which Mikado was immediately called out by Masaomi for 'flirting' with me. Mikado blushed, I ignored, and everything went on as usual.

. . .

"So~!"

Oh dear. When Masaomi's voice got like that I got worried.

"What were you and sweet Aida talking about, hm?" Masaomi asked Mikado as we walked home. Mikado blushed and glanced over at me.

Don't look at me, I'm not helping you dig out of this mess. I thought.

"M-Masaomi, it's not like that!" Mikado protested.

I merely smirked at him, continuing my silence.

"Your face says otherwise~!" Masaomi grinned, wrapping his arm around Mikado's shoulders.

"Oh, lay off him, Masaomi," I finally sighed. "He wasn't asking me out, you know he's got a thing for Anri, why would he ask me out?"

"Th-That's not-!"

"Don't lie to me, Mikado. It's not nice to lie," I chuckled slightly as he blushed, looking away.

"Ah, so that means that Aida is still mine!"

I snorted, raising my eyebrow. "What about Anri and all the other girls?"

"They're mine too."

"Figures you'd say that..." Mikado muttered. "Have you even ever actually kissed a girl, Masaomi?"

Oh. Oh dear.

Masaomi looked stricken for a moment, before laughing. "Of course I have!"

Not good. Not a good question.

We came to Mikado's house and he went inside, waving goodbye, and as soon as his door closed Masaomi's smile dropped. He stared at the ground and I let him be silent as he walked me back to my apartment.

When we got to my door, he still hadn't said anything. I looked at him for a minute before finally sighing. "Masaomi?"

"Yeah?"

I stepped forward and hugged him.

Saki. Why did that have to come up again? The poor guy's still not over her...

Though he was frozen for a moment, he hugged me back. No teasing, no making inappropriate jokes, nothing. I knew why he was upset. He'd told me before. There were times when we were completely alone that I saw this; this heartbreak, the seriousness that he actually had if you looked past the flirty playboy personality.

"I'm sorry that happened," I murmured quietly. "Are you gonna be okay?"

"...Yeah..."

"Good." I stepped away. "You know you can come talk to me if you need to, right?"

Masaomi nodded. "I'll see you tomorrow, Aida."

"Yeah, you too."

I watched him walk away before going inside. Even though I told myself I was just worrying too much, I couldn't shake the fear that he might let his past consume him. I shook my head; stressing over this wasn't going to fix anything.

As I went up to my bedroom and flopped down on my bed, I glanced at my backpack and sighed; I so didn't want to do homework. Oh well. Guess it can't be helped. At least it'll distract me.