Chapter 5

Oh god. Oh god, oh god, oh god.

I didn't know how to fix this. I couldn't fix a broken heart. No amount of bandages was going to help.

Izaya had taunted him at the hospital, to add insult to injury. As if he wasn't hurt enough from not being able to save his girlfriend from getting her legs broken. As it was, he'd come to me for help. I didn't know what he thought I could do, but I didn't think I could call myself a good friend if I didn't try to at least make him feel a little better.

Masaomi sat in front of me, his face buried in his hands. He wasn't crying, but he wasn't doing well, either. There were so many little things. The yellow bandana always wrapped around his neck was gone. Gone as well was the either happy smile or irritating smirk that he almost always had on his face. Instead he merely sat there, shaking slightly. I sat next to him, unsure of what to say or do that would comfort him after he'd managed to tell me what'd happened.

"M-Masaomi..." I finally said quietly. "I-I..." I paused. "I... I know this probably won't mean much, b-but... I'm sorry."

He shook his head slightly, not raising his head from his hands, still saying nothing.

I looked at the table. What do I do...?

"I don't know Saki, but I'm sure she won't blame you for this." I said to the table after another minute of silence. "Given what you've told me about her."

He finally looked at me, but I almost wish he hadn't; the look of guilt and doubt and fear was heartbreaking to look at.

"You should go see her again, when she's awake." I continued. Under typical circumstances, we usually didn't talk about Saki. It's not that I discouraged him from it although it always made me quietly jealous, not that Masaomi knew about that. He just didn't feel the need to constantly talk about her as much as he used to when he would brag about having a girlfriend. Actually, I'd never even met her. But I wasn't going to let my own feelings get in the way. "Honestly, if she's like what you say she's like, she won't get mad."

Masaomi shook his head again, looking back at the table. "I-It's... not that simple..."

"I know. But you know the answer to this." I said gently, but firmly.

"I can't face her..." he said softly. "I just can't do it..."

I reached out and took his shoulders. "If you love her, then you can."

He said nothing, once again. But, he took his hand and rested it on mine.

If he'd looked at me, he would've seen that my cheeks turned pink. But he didn't. So I let it fade away and let him hold my hand as long as he needed to.

The night that he was broken, I almost thought there was no going back.

Oh, god. Why was I remembering that?

I guess it dragged up memories for everybody, even people who don't even know Saki at all.

Well, regardless, I just totally zoned out in the middle of a math lecture, so maybe this wasn't a good time.

When school was finally over, I was immediately assaulted by Masaomi as he stuck himself in front of the classroom door, blocking my exit.

"What?" I asked, attempting to get around him. "Dude, come on..."

"You were zoning out in class pretty bad," Masaomi smirked, leaning close to me. At his close proximity, I blushed, and his grin only widened. "Ah, I see! You were daydreaming about me, how cute!"

"Shut up, weirdo!" I pushed him lightly on the chest, making him stumble back and allowing me to leave. "God, you're so strange sometimes."

"That's part of what makes me so charming."

"Sure, whatever you say, dummy." I punched him slightly on the arm, smiling. "Oh... where's Mikado and Anri? Usually they're here by now."

"Oh, they told me to go on without them, they had a class rep meeting."

"Ah, okay. Well, guess it's just us." We walked out of the school and down the street. "So, how're you doing?"

"Me? Just fine, since I'm with you~!"

"Don't play dumb, Masaomi."

He paused, before shrugging. "I'm alright. Better than yesterday."

"Good, I'm glad. Oh, hey- SHINRA!" I excitedly jumped up and down, looking across the street; there was my cousin. "You've never met my cousin, right? Come on!" I grabbed Masaomi's hand and dragged him over to the other side of the street.

"Ah, Aida!" Shinra smiled at me, then glanced over at Masaomi. "Is this your boyfriend~?"

"I swear, you two should get a freaking club," I muttered, punching my cousin in the stomach. "He's not my boyfriend."

"I could be~!"

"Oh my god, shut up!" I buried my face in my hands, blushing furiously. "This is not what I wanted from introducing you two!"

"Well," Shinra said, rubbing his stomach. "I'd guess this is Masaomi Kida, then. It's nice to meet you. My name's Shinra Kishitani."

"How do you already know my name?"

"What, do you think I like, never talk about any of my friends?" I nudged Masaomi with my elbow. "Sheesh, dude."

Shinra shot a smirk at me, and I glared at him. "Anyway, I should let you get back to your work. See you tomorrow, Shinra."

"Yeah, see ya, cuz." Shinra ruffled my hair and continued on his way.

"So, what does he do again?" Masaomi watched him leave for a second before we continued on.

"He's a doctor," I answered. "He does the sort of things that people wouldn't want to end up at the police station for, like bullet wounds and whatever. And he does plastic surgery for people who need to vanish. How do you think I got any knowledge on patching up wounds?"

"Ohh, that makes sense."

"Yep. He's a major dork, and sort of a perv, but he's a pretty good guy. He's head-over-heels in love with his roommate, too. Actually, he kind of reminds me of you," I nudged Masaomi in the side. "Except no one knows who you really like anymore because you flirt with so many girls."

"I'd like to think that it works."

"Oh please, I could seduce them better than you could." I scoffed jokingly.

"Yeah? Try me."

"Okay..." I quickly hooked my arm through his. "Hey, so, I don't know you super well, but I think you're really cute! Um, do you want to go out for coffee later or something?" Just as fast, I stepped away from him.

Masaomi blinked and then looked away. Was he... blushing...?

"Aw, did I embarrass you?" I teased.

"Sh-Shut up..."

"Masaomi Kida, embarrassed by a little harmless flirting, who'd have thought?"

"A-Anyway, we're here!" He said quickly, looking up at my apartment.

"Yeah..." I glanced over at him. "Do you want to come in?"

"Huh? Oh, I..." he paused. "I should probably get home. Thanks, though."

"Mm. Okay, then. See you tomorrow, then."

I watched him walk away before going inside and closing the door behind me. I slid down the door, landing down on the ground with a thump and putting my head in my hands. What am I going to do about you, Kida?