Chapter 8

Chapter 8 is here! Or as i like to call it, chapter 'why' because holy heck do i use that word a lot in this one

Anyway, enjoy!

***

Masaomi and Anri were acting weird. If it had just been Masaomi, I wouldn't have questioned it; he was always acting a little odd. Granted, the constant running off was not normal for him, but combined with Anri's little side-glances and such...

Okay, something's going on.

"Hey, Anri?" I tried to put as much casualness into my voice as I could. "Do you wanna come over later? Us girls never hang out, just the two of us, yknow?"

She looked like she was about to decline, but stopped herself; she was looking at my eyes, and she looked... concerned? Hesitant?

After a second, she nodded. "Alright. That sounds nice."

Masaomi started rambling on again, and I thought I heard something about polygamy in there, but I wasn't entirely sure anymore. Then, he checked his phone, said a cheery goodbye, and ran off.

---

When Anri eventually came over later that evening, I sat her down with a cup of tea and looked at her seriously.

"Okay, what's going on?" I asked frankly.

"U-Um, what do you mean?" She was avoiding my eyes, instead looking into her tea.

"Look, Anri, I don't want to press you... if you don't want to tell me something, that's okay, but... you've seemed worried about something... actually, more like... worried about Masaomi."

She flinched a little at that name.

"And... I don't know... you both are my friends, and he seems concerned about something, and so do you... I want to help if I can. I just... wanted to let you know that I'm here to talk if you need it." I continued.

We were both quiet for about two minutes before Anri finally said something.

"You've noticed Masaomi acting... well... more unusual than he usually does, right?"

I nodded, looking at her intently.

"I..." she hesitated. "I tracked him down after he left a few days ago, because I was worried... and..." she paused again. "You probably won't believe me, but I saw him with the Yellow Scarves... and they were calling him their boss." She proceeded to explain the whole situation to me, and the longer she talked, the more upset I became internally.

No... No, no, no, not again...

I must've looked horrified, because she ducked her head.

"A-Anri... are you absolutely sure about this?" I asked, standing abruptly.

"Y-Yes, I am."

"Oh, god... why, Masaomi?" I groaned, putting my head in my hands. "Anri, I believe you. The truth is, this has happened before. Oh, man, is he going to get it for this... I'm sorry you ended up wrapped up in this mess." I paused. "Anri, you said you... tracked him. How exactly did you do that?"

She stayed quiet. Oh boy. This is gonna be a long talk, isn't it?

. . .

"Hey, Masaomi?"

"Hmmm? What is it?"

Mikado and Anri had once again been kept at school for Class Rep duties. So it was just him and I.