Chapter 12

"Are you feeling better, sweetheart?" When Michael opens his eyes, the spot beside him is cold and he frowns, running his fingers against the mattress where Luke had once laid. He then pulls his attention toward Shawn who had gently awoken him, something he wasn't used to.

"Yeah." Michael finds himself saying with a weak smile.

Shawn nods and kisses the top of Michael's head much as Luke had hours beforehand. "I'm sorry I woke you," He murmurs.

Michael shakes his head, pressing his lips to his boyfriend's before saying, "No, it's not a problem," His words hold promises which causes Shawn to nod with relief. "How was work?" He continues as Shawn lays beside him, wrapping an arm around him.

"It was work," Shawn says with a small laugh. "Uneventful." He continues, squeezing Michael's hip gently before rubbing soft circles against the skin.

Michael offers a small smile before taking in the hickeys lining his boyfriend's neck. The smile is quickly replaced with a deep frown as he realizes he wasn't the one who had planted those. The small boy almost never gave Shawn hickeys so he knew it wasn't him. He doesn't bother commenting on them, only pushes the thought away and cuddles deeper into his boyfriend's arms. It doesn't surprise him that Shawn would cheat, already knowing what the boy was capable of. It was simply ironic how Shawn constantly accused him of cheating when he was doing the same.

Once Shawn had fallen asleep, Michael skillfully maneuvers out of his arms and sneaks off to the living room. Phone in hand he calls the first person he can think if and as soon as he hears the familiar voice, he lets off a sad sigh. "Hey Ash," He murmurs.

"What's wrong Mikey?" Ashton asks upon sensing his friend's distress.

"I think Shawn is cheating on me," Michael whispers.

Silence is all that is heard for a few beats before Ashton asks, "Do you want to come over to mine to talk about it?" Michael lets off an affirmation sound of agreement before the two hang up and Michael slips out the door.

***

Michael hadn't bothered telling Ashton about how he had fainted earlier and was rather surprised when he was able to make it to his friend's house without struggle. Once the curly haired boy had let him inside, they walk up to his room and sit on the bed, Ashton waiting for Michael to elaborate on what had happened earlier. "I saw hickeys all over his neck," He whispers once he had caught on to his friend. "You know how I never gave him hickeys. It was never really my thing so I kind of knew,"

Ashton nods slowly, rubbing the top of Michael's hand with the pad of his thumb. "I'm sorry, Mikey," He murmurs. "Maybe this is just another reason to leave him,"

Although Michael knew he was right, he still winces, still in denial over the whole situation. "I'll have no where to go if I leave," He says and feels Ashton squeeze his small hand as soon as the words leave his mouth.

"You're always welcome here," Ashton says. Michael was already aware of this; Ashton often offered for the ashy blonde to stay over at his whenever he knew Shawn would be especially hostile to his friend so living with him full time wouldn't be all that different.

"I know," Michael gives his friend a genuine smile before looking down at his hand that was intertwined with Ashton's. "I just don't know how I'm going to say it, you know? I'm afraid he'll hit me again," He doesn't mention the fresh bruises already lining his abdomen, only watches Ashton frown and nod.

"Do you want me to be there when you do it?" Michael nods almost immediately and pulls his friend in for a hug, thankful for the boy altogether. He knew that Ashton would be able to take Shawn on if push came to shove. He was easily twice as strong as his boyfriend and if Luke, a lanky boy could beat the living daylights out of him, Ashton would be able to do so without a moment's hesitation.

"Thank you," He whispers into Ashton's shirt and the curly haired boy kisses the top of his head and rubs circles into his back.

"There's no need to thank me, Michael. That's what friends are for," Michael only hugs his friend tighter, forever grateful for him. The innocent boy wasn't sure what he would do without his boy in his life. He surely wouldn't be as safe as he was now in Ashton's arms. He wasn't sure where he would be but for now he simply curls into his friend's arms and braces himself for what was to come next.

It was a few hours later that Michael gets a phone call from Shawn. He already knew what Shawn wanted: to know where he was and what he was doing outside of the house. He knew that his boyfriend would yell obscene things at him, knew insults and harsh words were about to be thrown his way yet he picks up anyway. "Hello?" He says, feeling Ashton's worried gaze on him.

"Where the hell are you?" Shawn snaps, as expected.

"I'm at Ashton's," Michael's voice is surprisingly steady yet the two of them knew it wouldn't last long.

"What're you doing there? Are you cheating on me, Michael?"

"Shouldn't I be the one asking you that?" The smaller boy replies, clenching his free hand into a frustrated fist.

"What're you on about?" Shawn asks, playing clueless.

"I saw the hickeys on your neck, Shawn. I'm not stupid,"

A low groan of irritation is heard on the other line and soon Shawn says, "I'm coming to Ashton's. Don't you dare leave. We need to talk about this," Before Michael could reply the line goes dead and upon seeing Michael's stark white complexion, Ashton pulls his friend in for another hug.

"I won't let him hurt you," He says instantly when he feels Michael's tears soak into his shirt. The smaller boy wasn't even aware of the fact that he was crying, the painful prick of tears too familiar.

"Please don't," He says, voice breaking.

Ashton frowns yet nods, rocking the two back and forth before they hear a knock on Ashton's door. The owner of the apartment gets up from the couch, murmuring for Michael to stay put, voice gentle. "Where's Michael?" Shawn hisses the moment Ashton had opened the door.

"In the living room," Ashton says, voice even as he blocks the boy's view of his friend from the doorway.

Shawn pushes the curly brunette aside and stalks toward Michael with fire gleaming in his angered eyes. "Michael, why the hell did you leave?"

"I found out my boyfriend was cheating on me. What else was I supposed to do? Continue to kiss the ground you walk on?" Michael mutters sarcastically with a roll of his eyes.

Shawn grips Michael's face in rough hands, the action causing pain to wash over his cheeks. "Hey," Ashton snaps. "Hands off," He rips the abusive boy's hands from Michael's face with a glare, pressing his body in between the two of them. He then gives Michael an encouraging glance and the small boy lets off a deep breath before voicing the words he should've let spill months ago.

"I think we should break up," He says, voice quiet as he stares down at his hands.

"What did you just say?" Shawn asks, surprised.

"I want to break up. We're over. I'm going to pick up my things tomorrow," Michael repeats, words stronger this time.

"Who are you to break up with me?" Shawn says, shock leaking through his tone.

"I'm done with all the shit you've done. You've hurt me for too long and I'm sick of it so I'm moving out. We're done, Shawn. I can't do this anymore," Michael admits and Ashton extends a hand toward the small boy, giving it a proud squeeze.

"But--"

"I think it'd be best if you left, mate," Ashton says, cutting the now single boy off. "Go find your new toy to fuck with and leave Michael alone. If you even dare look at him the wrong way I'll blind you,"

Shawn suddenly does something that surprised the other two boys. He nods slowly, runs a hand over his face with devastation and leaves. "I didn't think it was going to be that easy," Michael whispers once he had left.

"Neither did I," Ashton admits yet little did they know the worst was yet to come.

---

So that ending is terrible and I'm shit at cliffhangers but tada. I hope you enjoyed it nonetheless. Much love.

-Landen xx

Word count: 1467