Chapter 17

I got my hair cut last Thursday and still don't know what to think. Your guys' input would be fantastic.

---

Michael wakes up in a cold sweat and gasping for air. He didn't get nightmares often yet tonight was an exception. The dream seemed to shake him to the core, rattling his bones and drenching his cheeks in horrified tears. He gets up on shaky limbs and heads toward Ashton's room, hoping the older boy would be awake to talk yet the idea is shot down as soon as he hears snoring coming through his door.

The small boy lets off a whimpered swear before pulling a hoodie over his head and heading out to Ashton's porch. He sits on the steps, dream beginning to fade yet the fear never evaporates. He tries lighting a cigarette in the hopes of calming his nerves yet his hands are trembling so much he's unable to flick the lighter. He swears under his breath, full on sobbing now before taking out his phone and calling Luke.

The blonde answers on the third ring despite the late hour and asks, "What's wrong, Mikey?" tone deep with still apparent sleep.

"I-I had a nightmare. I-It was about Shawn a-and I-- I'm sorry for waking you. It's s-stupid,"

Michael could already imagine Luke shaking his head and running a hand through his soft blonde hair. "No, sweetheart. It's not stupid. I'll be at Ashton's in 5 minutes, baby, okay? Just keep breathing for me. I'll be there soon. It was just a dream. It wasn't real," He murmurs.

"B-But it was. I-It was real, Luke," The terrified boy replies, crying into his sleeves. His friend tries his best to soothe the boy as he drives and soon enough he shows up in front of Ashton's apartment, frowning as soon as he spots Michael.

"What happened, angel? Do you want to talk about it?" Luke asks, voice just above a whisper. He watches as Michael nods slowly and the two make their way to Ashton's porch. As soon as Michael begins to stumble over his words, breaths arriving in heavy gasps, Luke places his hand over the panicking boy and tells him to take his time, voice soft and soothing.

"First he was just kissing me," Michael whispers as he wipes his eyes. "Then he pushed me on the bed and climbed on top of me," His voice seemed to grow softer as he struggled through choked sobs. "He started undoing my belt and took off my pants and then my boxers b-before doing the same. I-I told him I didn't want it and that I wanted to leave but he just held me down a-and told me I was a fat useless w-whore before he--" Michael is unable to finish yet Luke gets the picture, face gone paper white as he pulls the traumatized boy into his arms.

"Oh Michael," He whispers sympathetically before kissing the crown of his head. "Shawn's gone now. You don't have to worry about him,"

Michael pulls Luke closer to him, wanting to be held and protected even from himself and says, "It was real, Luke. I-It was real," He wipes more tears from his cheeks before he continues. "He's never gone. He's always here. I think of all the times he's touched me without my consent. Hit me, threatened me, belittled me... I'll never be loved, Luke. I'm incapable. Th-That's what he told me,"

Luke shakes his head, lips then migrating to Michael's forehead. "You can't believe him, Mike. I know it's hard and that he must've told you this dozens of times but it wasn't true, sweetheart. I'll show you the world someday and you'll learn what real love is, okay?"

Michael nods, not fully comprehending Luke's words as the lanky boy wraps his arms around him. "Okay, Luke," He whispers. "Can you stay the night? Just incase I have another--"

"Of course," Luke replies, getting up and helping Michael do the same.

"I'm sure Ashton won't mind," Michael whispers as they walk to the spare room.