Chapter 23

It had been a week and a half since Michael started his job at the gas station and things were going swimmingly until today. The small boy woke up with a terrible headache that even Luke's kisses couldn't fix. The blonde had made it his mission to pick up and drop Michael off at work nearly every day although the younger boy had a car of his own.

"It doesn't make sense," Michael mutters once he had clipped on his seatbelt. "Why waste gas when I have a car?"

Luke smiles slightly, pecking Michael's lips before pulling out of the driveway. "It gives me more time to spend with you," He shrugs.

"Two whole minutes," Michael counters yet can't help but smile.

"Two whole minutes I'm allowed to do this," Luke says before kissing him sweetly. Michael wasn't exactly sure what to call what he and Luke had but whatever it was, he wasn't complaining.

"I have to go now," Michael whispers against Luke's lips, pulling away. "I'll see you later, promise," The blonde nods, not pleased with his answer but lets it go.

"Alright," He sighs. "See you then, my angel,"

Michael blushes at the pet name, pecking Luke's rosy lips once more before exiting the car. He'd be working with Calum for a few hours, the caramel skinned boy having come in a few hours prior to work his own shift. The small boy waves Luke goodbye before walking into the gas station and greeting his manager. "Hey Michael," Calum says with a soft grin. "Saw you and Luke outside," He continues, what had been a friendly grin now turning into a mischievous smirk.

"I-- Y-Yeah," Michael stammers, cheeks gone a bright red.

"The two of you are cute and I know he really likes you. Are you together?"

Michael looks down at his hands, hoping his fringe would hide his cherry blush before saying, "I um... I got out of a pretty rough relationship a little while back so I don't think I'm ready yet. I know it's stupid because I know he cares and that he'll treat me right and we kiss and stuff but... I dunno, I'm just not ready,"

This was the most Michael had spoken to Calum ever since he had started working there and he wouldn't have figured it would be over something so personal yet here they were, discussion something Michael never knew needed discussing. "C'mon, lets get you to work!" Calum says, grin present yet again, hoping to clear away the awkward tension. "I'm gonna have you work the register and scanner. Hauling all those boxes last night must've left you sore. You're lucky I'm in a good mood, Clifford," Calum jokes and Michael smiles fondly his way before shuffling behind the register. He shrugs off his coat, throwing it in the break room before heading back and waiting for customers to come and go.

It's two and a half hours into his shift when the bell above the door alerts Michael of a painfully familiar face and as soon as they lock eyes, all colour leaves Michael's face. "W-What're you doing here?" He asks, voice barely above a whisper.

All the courage he once had to tell off Shawn was now gone as the boy stood in front of him, bruises fully healed and Shawn is sporting a taunting grin as he says, "Coming in to pay for gas. $20 at pump 5,"

Michael hastily nods, taking the bill from Shawn's sinful hands before his ex boyfriend grabs ahold of Michael's wrist with a sharp tug. "What the hell," Michael hisses.

"I see you around with that blonde prick and I'm not happy with it. I don't like seeing you whoring around with other guys,"

"Oh so you're stalking me now?" Michael scoffs, hoping to hold his composure.

"You're mine," Shawn growls, voice guttural and hard.

"No," Michael snaps, voice equally as cold. "I'm not your anything anymore. Now get your fucking gas and leave me the hell alone,"