Chapter 24

Michael clutches his phone in a trembling hand as the nearly deafening ringing brings tears to his eyes. He wasn't sure why he was doing this or what caused the courage to stem in his chest but here he was, calling his mother after years of speaking. She picks up on the last ring with a confused, "Hello?" and Michael's heart nearly stops.

"Hey, Mum," He whispers, voice nearly lost on the other line.

"Is there a reason you called?" Karen asks and Michael stares down at his lap, biting his lip nervously.

"I just wanted to talk. We haven't in a while," He mumbles, beginning to regret the call already.

"Alright," Mrs. Clifford says with a sigh.

"I broke up with Shawn and I got a job," Michael says and can't hold back the pride leaking through his tone.

"What brought all that on?"

"I have a friend who hooked me up with the job," Michael starts, smiling softly at the mere mention of the blonde. "And I broke up with Shawn because he--"

Muffled voices are heard on the other line before Karen cuts him off. "I've got to go, Michael. It was nice talking to you, though. I'll call back some other time,"

"Oh," Michael mutters, smile quickly disappearing and twisting into a frown. "Okay, um, yeah that's fine," He gives his mother a halfhearted goodbye before hanging up and lets out a frustrated sigh. Irritated tears form in his green eyes and he wipes them away, knowing this wasn't worth crying over. All he had wanted was to mend his relationship with his mother, sick of pretending he didn't come from a broken home, having been shunned by his family for years.

The irritation fades quickly and soon morphs into anger. He hadn't done anything wrong. His mother had no right to hate him. He scoffs at the thought of his ignorant parents and grabs his wallet and keys before driving off to the store. At first he wasn't sure what he wanted but finds himself wandering down the hair dye isle. He grits his teeth, still fuming and grabs a box of bright red hair dye before checking out of the store and heading back to Ashton's.

The small boy had never dyed his hair before but figured it wouldn't be too hard as long as he followed the directions. He walks into the bathroom, cracking the window so he wouldn't breathe in much of the fumes and starts mixing everything up. The bottle is a bright red, much like the feeling of hot acid running through Michael's veins and after a final deep breath, he begins saturating his hair in the angry colour. Waiting the hour for the dye to set was long enough for Michael to assess the whole situation with his parents and his anger hadn't yet faded. By the time he had rinsed everything out and dried it, he feels a heavy weight being lifted from his shoulders yet anger still raced through his system. He finds himself grinning in the mirror as he runs a hand through his freshly dyed hair and throws everything away, cleaning up his mess before getting back in the car and driving to Luke's.

The now freshly dyed boy was used to coming to Luke's unannounced so this wouldn't be all that unusual. The only thing different now was the colour of his hair. He knocks gently, looking down at his shoes before the door opens and he locks eyes with a surprised Luke. "I had a rough day and I just need you to kiss me," Michael mutters and with a confused glance, Luke nods, pulling the boy inside and locking their lips as soon as they make it to the couch.

"I like your hair," Luke murmurs against his lips. Michael smiles against the blonde's mouth as he runs his hands through his freshly dyed locks. "Makes you look sexy," He continues.

"Less talking more kissing," Michael mutters which causes a laugh to bubble up in Luke's throat. Michael mounts himself on the blonde's lap and Luke's hands have found their way to the small boy's hips. They had never kissed like this before; needy and aching for attention yet neither of them minded. They would stay this way forever if they could.

The two pull apart after what feels like hours and Michael smiles at the swollen state of Luke's lips. "Thank you," He murmurs and traces patterns on the top of Luke's palm.

"What brought that on?" He wonders with a raised eyebrow.

"I was upset and I knew you'd calm me down," Michael shrugs with a grateful smile. "Thanks for that, by the way,"

Luke chuckles with a sly grin. "Anytime, bub," He replies, pressing a final kiss to Michael's lips, not wanting to be beside anyone else.

---

This was short but also one of my favorites. My updates have also been semi consistent. Who am I becoming? Red haired Michael is here bc that colour has to be my favorite along with blue, galaxy and reverse skunk. Blonde is also great. What're your favorite colours on Michael? I might just need your opinions for future reference...

Also, those pictures of the boys in Cancun killed me. Michael's little tummy will be the cause of my death I love it so much. Also Michael dabbing?? All of this action has kept my mind off politics so that's wonderful. I really don't want to get into that bullshit so.

Anyway, enough with this long author's note. I hope you all enjoyed and thanks so much for 5k. You're all so wonderful. Much love.

-Shianne xx

Word count: 948