Eight

Yes, this was the right thing to do. You smirked, so impressed with yourself. Obviously, curling up into a ball under the blankets was the best decision you ever made. Nothing could get you out of here. Just like when you were young, the covers were an impenetrable shield from the monsters.

'I'll just live like this from now on,' you thought in triumph. You could order pizza or whatever else delivered everyday and just lay in bed and watch Netflix and browse forums until you grew old and feeble. Heck! You could even do online schooling! You were an adult, ready to live your life as a scared child.

"Oh my god, this is so sad."

Before you could fall into a deep depression you heard your cellphone ring loudly, making you search around with a frown when you noticed it was nowhere in your room. You looked into the hallway and pouted, not wanting to leave your safe haven that was your bed. But it could be important...

Wrapping the blankets around your shoulders and head like a cocoon, you shuffled out of your room, muttering in annoyance under your breath. This continued until you found out where the ringing was coming from...under the couch.

Ugh, it must have fallen down under there sometime during the fight or whatever. Not like you cared at this point. You crouched and felt under the sofa, blindly grabbing at anything hard until you felt the cell case and something else laying on top of it. Pulling both out, you realized that it was the red collar you had originally bought for Bushido. You stared at it, figuring Zoro must have wiggled out of it at some point. You briefly remembered having to chase him around the apartment and somehow got it on his neck despite his growls and not so nice snapping.

Your cell rang again, it's shrill alert pulling you out of your memory. You found yourself smiling as you answered the call, not even bothering to look to see who it was.

"Hello?"

"__________! Where the hell are you?!!"

You blinked and quickly placed the voice as one of your coworker's, the one you usually gossiped and ate lunch with. You know that girl. Yeah, that girl.

"Um, home?"

She hissed in your ear, sounds of rustling plastic bags and checkout lanes in the background. "You shift started an hour ago!!!"

GAH! You smacked your forehead a few times, hating your brain for forgetting that you had to work today.

...

Your exam!! Oh fffffffffff-! You were so going to fail that class.

"I'm so sorry, I've been preoccupied and it's been kind of stressful-"

"Stressful? STRESSFUL?!!" She screeched loudly, the noise forcing you to hold the phone far from your ear. You listened to her rant, feeling extremely guilty for bailing on work.