Twenty

"You sure you weren't a linebacker in your past life?" Your friend asked, watching them load up the old woman into the ambulance.

You held your head in horror, the vehicle's doors slamming shut and sirens turning on as they prepared to leave. "Oh my god, I hope she's okay!"

"You took her down pretty good," the shorter girl held up her hands and twisted them quickly in one smooth motion. "Her head snapped back, just like this."

"Will you shut up!?!" You hissed, not even at work for two hours and already wanting to strangle her.

She shrugged, "I'm just saying. Not like you did it for laughs - that light could have killed you both."

You groaned and pulled at your hair, feeling incredibly guilty for this entire mess. Not only had you almost died again, but they almost took someone out with you. These people certainly didn't care if there were casualties. Shit, you felt horrible and angry and frantic and it was waaaaaaay too much to handle. 

"Hey, who's dog is that?"

Your head jerked up and looked around until your coworker pointed to the other side of the street where a black dog was pacing back and forth.

"Zoro!" Before anyone could stop you, you were crossing the road just after the ambulance drove off, sirens wailing while the crowd in front of the store watched.

You grew more and more worried the longer it took you to make it across the street, heart pounding viciously in your chest and fingers twitching and wanting to hold onto someone. You quickly realized that these weren't just your emotions, but Zoro's as well; which only made you feel worse because you were both freaking out times two. Though, at least it was becoming easier to figure out which were your emotions and which were Zoro's. His had a distinct feel, like you were laying under the warm sun on a summer day. It made you want to...nap.

You stepped onto the sidewalk and was almost toppled over when the wolf barreled right into your legs with his head, keeping it there for a moment while you tried to catch your balance, then proceeded to sniff you all over.

"Zoro, what are you doing here?" You cooed, bending down to pet his head.

He looked up and lightly licked your cheek. 

"I'm fine. Really."

His ears folded back, good eye shining with uncertainty.

Giving him a reassuring smile, you leaned in and hugged his neck, which he seemed to like this because his tail started to wag.

You sighed and just kind of held him a second as he started to calm down; feeling his anxiety, worry, and anger vanish. You even brushed his fur with your fingers, scratching the scruff of his neck until you felt something small tangled in his hair. You snagged the item and tugged a little until it came out, staring at it questioningly while turning it over in your hand.