Chapter 9

-This chapter goes a bit into Zulemas life.-

Zulema bit her lip as she tried her best to solve the little math problems in the packet her teacher gave her for extra credit. It was crucial that she did the extra credit because if she didn't, then that meant no graduating and she was very determined to do just that.

She smiled when she was finally able to close her book, knowing that all her school work was done. I'm going to graduate. She told herself over and over again.

Her bedroom door opened revealing her uncle who was drunk already even though it wasn't even midnight yet, "where's the money I left on the counter?" He slurred, holding onto the doorframe for support.

Zulema sighed, sitting up, "I don't know."

"Don't give me that bullshit, you grabbed it, I know you did."

Zulema bit her lip, not knowing what to say. She knew that if she said anything it wouldn't matter anyway.

"I.. I used it for a graduation fee," she muttered, picking at the hem of her shorts. The money she had from her paycheck had been either stolen from Ricky or used for necessities and her phone bill. She had no other choice.

"You what?" The man, Ricky, stepped closer to her bed, voice angrily toned as he gritted his teeth.

"I-I'm sorry-" Zulema said but was cut off when she felt a sharp pain in her jaw as she realized she had been punched.

"You little bitch!" He grabbed her by her t-shirt and threw her on the floor. Zulemas eyes watered and she didn't want to cry.

"I will pay you back," her voice trembled and he shoved her leg.

"Yeah, you will. I want my money in two days, me entiendes?" (You understand?)

Zulema nodded instantly, wiping a small tear from her cheek before waiting for him to leave the room.

-

Harry groaned, hitting his alarm clock for the millionth time already. Eventually he got up, showered and put on his casual attire for school. He didn't wake up as early today since he went to sleep late the previous night. Which meant he had to confront his family which he didn't want.

In a way he was just embarrassed. And ashamed. That he was lying behind their backs saying that he'd never smoke again, even though he did. He wished they understood the era they were living in and that it really wasn't a big deal anymore.

Walking down the stairs, he saw his mom and dad eating breakfast at the small dining room table. His mom looked up at him, "Harry," she said before he got to walk out.

He grimaced, "yeah?" He asked timidly.

"Why have you been ignoring us?" She asked nicely. His mother was always so damn nice and he hated ever being mean to her.

"I wasn't," he gulped, tightening his grip on his backpack strap.

"Sit down, would you?" His father asked, drinking from his coffee.

Harry almost groaned, not really wanting to be talked to.

"What's up? You've been odd lately," his mom asked, giving him those sincere eyes.

"Where's Axel?" Harry asked noticing he wasn't around.

"Sleeping. Now answer your moms question," his father replied, crossing his hands together on the tables surface.

Harry sighed, "nothing. Now can I go?" He rolled his eyes, annoyed.

"No, not until you answer her question correctly," Mark raised a brow.

"I did answer correctly," Harry said as if it were obvious.

His mother, Lydia looked at mark then spoke, "you don't have to pretend, Harry-"

Harry grimaced, "I'm not pretending anything. What do you want me to tell you two I'm depressed or something?" He chuckled bitterly, getting up from his seat and adjusting his bag over his shoulder, "listen, think what you want, but I'm gonna be late for school now. By mom, love you," he gave Lydia a kiss on the forehead before waving goodbye to his father and walking out of the door.

-

Harry regretted smoking before his English class as he began to get awe fully tired. But why not? He wouldn't have had time to do it later on with soccer practice and what not. Plus, he liked being high during school. It made it go by much smoother.

"Zulema Durango?" He heard the teacher take attendance. His head was buried in his arms and he furrowed his brows as he looked up and in front of him. He noticed Zulema wasn't in school for yet the second day in a row. He hadn't heard from her all weekend either. Not since they had breakfast together that Friday.

He couldn't help but wonder what she could have been doing to miss that much school. He liked seeing her read through those black specs and itching her leg with the other foot.

She was a character, no doubt. An actress even. She pretended to be some innocent nice girl, when in private she was anything but. Even when they were just talking privately she was still shy and timid. She was odd, that one.

She was freaky yet oddly kinky.

-

Lunch time rolled around and Harry found himself sitting next Mori who wouldn't stop looking at him.

"What do you want?" He spoke expressionless and bluntly as he continued to scroll on his phone.

Mori smirked, inching closer to him until her lips were close to his ear, "you."

Harry rolled his eyes, "funny because last time I checked, you told me to fuck off. So that's what I'm doing now. I'm fucking off," he grunted, shrugging her off of him.

"Did you actually think I meant that?" She gave him a dumbfounded look.

"No, but I did. I told you, I don't want you in that way," he said with an irritated voice. He wasn't that special, there were plenty of other hot guys with green eyes and curly hair she could go out with.

"I happen to make a wonderful girlfriend," she crossed her arms.

"That's good, go look for someone who wants a girlfriend then," he chuckled, opening messages on his phone. He was scrolling through some anonymous app when he saw a post that said "let's be honest. Who wouldn't fck the shit outta Zulema D?"

His heart plummeted in his chest just seeing her name on the screen. He then chuckled, already did.

"What're you laughing at?" Mori ignored his previous statement, reaching over to look at his screen.

Harry instantly clicked the lock button, looking at her with indented brows.

"Sorry," Mori muttered putting her hands up.